Chain Tightening Tip

/ Chain Tightening Tip #1  

narcnh

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 7800
Here's a tip that may be obvious to everyone else, but it wasn't to me, so I'll share what I learned by experience.

After you have chains on for a while, you're supposed to check them and tighten, if needed. Today, after finishing up, I checked my rear tires and the chains felt like they could be tightened a bit. So, I opened the clasp on the first one. It was at about the 3 o'clock position (clasp on top)and when I released it the other side of the chain (without the clasp) fell to the ground. Because of the weight and the way it gripped the tire, I couldn’t get it back up the tire to a position where I could tighten it. I couldn’t even get it back to the tightness it was at before I started. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Stood back, scratched my head, got on the tractor and moved the tire so the clasp was at the 9 o’clock position (clasp on bottom). From that position I was able to easily tighten it and got it one link tighter than when I started. Repeated on the other side with no problem. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Not a big deal, but hope it saves someone a few minutes of hassle.

/ Chain Tightening Tip #2  
I have to jack my Gravely up to get the chains reasonably tight. Then I use a rubber bungie cord to keep them tight. Attach one end of the bungie to the clash thingie.

I'm hoping to avoid use of chains when I get my Kubota next April. From the general experience I've read about, the 4wd and locking differential should void the need for chains.

Can't lock differential on the Gravely. You lose steering ability then. It doesn't have the capability anyway.

Ralph