Chain top link

/ Chain top link #11  
I just don't buy that argument that the implement can end up on your back. It is hypothetical at best and hype at worst. Sorry, but it is a fear perpetuated that if true, even a solid top link wouldn't prevent (break something first).

Sorry to disagree with the experts.
As always, I could be wrong too. Just in many hours for many a year, never have had a 3pt attachment flip forward as described.

/ Chain top link #12  
I can only speak from first hand experience or what customers have reported to me during my 33 years of machinery business. I have personally had a solid toplink save my life on more than 1 occasion. Usually while brush hogging, going steep upgrade and the tractor front end would come a foot or more off the ground and stop when the toplink caught and stopped the potential flipback of the tractor. No chains for me! Solid or Hydraulic. Ken Sweet

/ Chain top link #13  
I'm with Ken Sweet on this one...that top link can save your butt.
It can also save your tractor's PTO by preventing the implement's drive shaft collapsing too much when crossing an abrupt change in topography.
Nothing hypothetical about that...

Last edited:
   / Chain top link #14  
I'm with Beenthere on this, fear perpetuated hype.

Kinda like the pto screw splitter hype.

/ Chain top link #15  
No disrespect intended but I think that anyone who thinks that a top link has saved them from going over backwards is probably dreaming. When you start to come up the lift arms have come all the way up before the impliment and top link can catch you. At that point you are well on your way to going over. If you have enough momentum to get that high the top link will just fold. IMHO.

/ Chain top link #16  
No disrespect intended but I think that anyone who thinks that a top link has saved them from going over backwards is probably dreaming. When you start to come up the lift arms have come all the way up before the impliment and top link can catch you. At that point you are well on your way to going over. If you have enough momentum to get that high the top link will just fold. IMHO.

If that is the case, Why would I have bent a top link in the process of brushhogging up a steep incline? Ken Sweet

/ Chain top link #17  
Yeah hog back can and will come up,I use just a length of heavier type chan with a couple of connectors on my hog,had back come up,maybe a foot or so a couple of times and bang back down,will get your attention.

I just cut grass and it came up just by front edge hitting against uneven ground,[had front to low],now I wouldn't use a chain top link if I was actually cutting brush or had stumps sticking up here and there,but if you got fairly even ground and just grass,it will let you get a more uniform cut with out rear wheel coming off ground.

Would think the worst that could happen if you was unlucky or careless while using a chain,would be damage your pto,if it came way up and your telascopeing drive shaft butted up,always best to have a good bit of play,both ways when hog is level.

I cut about 6inches high or so,and know my ground,so chances are not great of front catching,but yeah,its something anyone doing it should know could happen.

I wouldn't think about using a chain for anything else,[blade,tiller,etc].

/ Chain top link #18  
You bent it. But did it save you from going over? ?
We will never know and the arguement will go on forever.
Discussions like this can be good because they makes people think .

/ Chain top link #19  
You will find lots of good ways to make one on here.
Here is the way I did it. Used a logging choker and cable slider on a 3'
piece of chain
Hello Gordon,
Can you tell me the manufacturer and model of the logging choker and cable slider and what size chain you are using? I have an upcoming need for that setup. Thanks, Jerry.

/ Chain top link #20  
It is a 5/16" chain with a standard type choker hook for 5/16" chain. I picked one with a small opening so it could not come off of the 3/4" top pin.
I remember when I got the slider I had to check and make sure the 3/4"
top pin on a CAT 1 3pt hitch would fit through OK. A slider for a 5/16" or 3/8" cable would probably be to small. Sorry I dont know the mfgr or number.
We have several equipment stores around here that have all kinds of stuff like this. I just picked up what I needed and there is no marking on them.
They were made in Canada because they have a CS stamp. Not much help.