Chaining Down - Ratchet or Std binders?

/ Chaining Down - Ratchet or Std binders? #1  

BigEddy

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 855, 322, AMT626 plus whatever my son dragged home this month
Been using straps - going to get chains and binders. I can get standard binders or ratchet binders for the same cost.
What are your experiences with each, and which would you recommend?

Thanks

/ Chaining Down - Ratchet or Std binders? #2  
Ratchet. They are slower, but they don't come loose randomly and they won't smack you in the face if they spring loose while tightening.

/ Chaining Down - Ratchet or Std binders? #3  
Standard are faster but can snap back on you. Also, you'll need some give to what you're binding. I added a ratchet binder to my arsenal after I tried to chain down my box blade once. Not enough "give" in the box/chain/trailer combo for the standard binder. The ratchet works just great though /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Chaining Down - Ratchet or Std binders? #4  
BigEddy:

This is right up my alley, so to speak.

Being a Michigan Steel Hauler, I use chain binders more in a week than you will in your lifetime.

Here are the rules:
Depending on what your chaining down, chains or straps can be used. Material that has a sharp edge, like a FEL bucket should be chained. That is, unless you use some sort of edge protection like a peice of rubber to shield the strap from the sharp edge. The sharp edge will fray and eventually cut the strap.
Chain binders come in a few different styles. There is the regular "snap" binder or the safety "snap" binder. The difference is, the safety binder when tensioned closed, will release the pressure on the handle whereas the standard snap always has tension on the handle. Snap binders all use an "over center" principal whereas the binder cams over to lock.

Ratchet binders all come in one style, just with different load ratings.

Chains are all about the same, just different grades and load ratings too. However, chain does come in different link sizes, the most common is 3/8" or 1/2". Chains need to be stamped on every 3rd. link as to the grade.

Whatever system you decide upon, make sure that you have enough chains or straps to handle the gross weight of the item you are hauling.

Most states recognize 1 chain for every 6,000 pounds of cargo weight as long as the chains are stamped with a grade mark.

If you are planning to go down the road with a load chained or strapped down, be sure to have it chained or strapped properly. You become fair game for any DOT or law enforcement official to inspect your load and determine if you are within the proper guidelines. If you are not, you can be fined for an insecure load. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Chaining Down - Ratchet or Std binders? #5  
<font color="blue"> Being a Michigan Steel Hauler </font>

So you're the guy Daryl /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

When I lived in Detroit I used to get a kick out of the traffic reports: "I-94 Eastbound closed at Inkster...steel hauler lost his load". I never saw one, but I suspect a coil of steel rolling down the highway would be pretty intimidating /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Chaining Down - Ratchet or Std binders? #6  
Ratchet is the way to go. It gives you so much more flexibility.

/ Chaining Down - Ratchet or Std binders? #7  
I'll throw in with the ratchet crowd. I hate binders. Too dang many pinched fingers and banged extremities in my lifetime. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Chaining Down - Ratchet or Std binders? #8  
BigEddy:
I've used both and my vote is for chains and ratchet binders. Them regular binders can hurt you bad. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Chaining Down - Ratchet or Std binders? #9  
RobS:

Well, I am a baby Michigan Steel hauler. I can only haul 85,000 on the deck as I drive a 7 axle unit. If I had an 11 axle unit, I could haul about 102,000, depending on my light weight.

My 7 axle unit is plated for 121,000 pounds gross. I prefer a 7 axle or a tight quad over a straight 11 axle unit. I can run in other states that only recognize 80,000# gross on 5 axles as my axles are lifts. The picture will explain. The truck has a 525 E model Caterpillar with 1850 pounds feet torque in front of a 14613 double over driving 44 rockwells, 3.90 ratio. Also included (but not pictured because they are in the trailer) is 12 sets of grade 80 chains, 12 feet long, 12 ratchet binders, 4 snap binders and a big cheater pipe. The cheater pipe is because I ain't Arnold /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 334231-office.jpg
    334231-office.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 363
   / Chaining Down - Ratchet or Std binders? #10  
Gee Daryl, if you tried, could you squeeze another set of tires under that rig?????????

That's a pretty unit.

Ron