Chains & binders

/ Chains & binders #21  
If you cut your chains to 5 footers, how close will you have to be to use the tractor to pull out your truck next time you get it stuck? I prefer a little longer chain for most of my efforts, other than tying the tractor down.
David from jax
Hook it up first then cut. I give myself a foot or so of extra. It's nice to have exact length needed chains for specific purpose but it's an added expense to use connecting links to make a chain longer.

/ Chains & binders #22  
If you cut your chains to 5 footers, how close will you have to be to use the tractor to pull out your truck next time you get it stuck? I prefer a little longer chain for most of my efforts, other than tying the tractor down.
David from jax

I never ever use my tie down chains for skidding or pulling unless emergency, have G43 log chain with grab hook one end and slip hook on the other for pulling stuff, some of the links have obvious flat spots from ground contact and I do not want the finish scrapped off.

David

/ Chains & binders #23  
I never ever use my tie down chains for skidding or pulling unless emergency, have G43 log chain with grab hook one end and slip hook on the other for pulling stuff, some of the links have obvious flat spots from ground contact and I do not want the finish scrapped off.

David
Same here. The 5/16 G70 tie down chains are in a separate place by themselves and only used for that. I have old 3/8 chain that I use for pulling and positioning.

/ Chains & binders #25  
David from jax

I have a tow rope, for pulling vehicles and other things. No chain for pulling. Chain doesn't give like a tow rope and is more dangerous. I have some "log chains" I can use, for miscellaneous chain tasks. Transport chain is strictly used for tying down things in transport. Remember, it's best practice to hang a dampener over any cable used to pull.

I also picked up a pair of good American made ratcheting ones with folding handles

What USA made ratchet binders with folding handles did you find? Peerless is the most popular folding handle binders I know of and they are not made in the US.

/ Chains & binders #26  
Chains & binders

The screw type binders work well when they’re new. There’s much worse after they’ve laid in a trailer tool box and got rusty. It appears I’m outnumbered here, but I’ll take the lever style any time. You do need a pipe with them though especially on a tracked machine.

Last edited:
   / Chains & binders #27  
The screw type binders work well when they豎*e new. There逞エ not much worse after they閾エe laid in a trailer tool box and got rusty. It appears I遏・ outnumbered here, but I蛟、l take the lever style any time. You do need a pipe with them though especially on a tracked machine.
I use the lever binders also. Its just like anything else, learn to use them properly.

/ Chains & binders #29  
Re: Chains & binders

The screw type binders work well when they’re new. There’s much worse after they’ve laid in a trailer tool box and got rusty. It appears I’m outnumbered here, but I’ll take the lever style any time. You do need a pipe with them though especially on a tracked machine.
There's a solution for the rust - apply Fluid Film BEFORE storing them.

I like to use both types - Screw type for the first ones on (usually the front), lever for the final ones on to make it squat a little.