Chains for hauling tractor

/ Chains for hauling tractor #1  

BruceS_55

Bronze Member
Tractor
RK25
I need to purchase a chain to tie down my tractor when hauling it. The tractor is a TYM 2515h and weighs around 3000 lbs without the loader and close to 4000 with the loader. Will a 5/16 inch chain be sufficient or should I get 3/8 inch? The 5/16 inch yellow chromate chain has a load capacity of 4700 lbs and the 3/8 has a capacity of 6600 lbs. From the numbers I would think 5/16 will work unless I'm missing something like stress load while braking etc. Any ideas?

/ Chains for hauling tractor #2  
I'm pretty sure 'working' rating is sufficient spec, if even or greater than load. You're gonna' have to move every pound and 16th every time - so less is easier. If single chain is more than load, and you double or quad, there's your safety factor 'overdone'.

/ Chains for hauling tractor #3  
How many chains are you going to use?

You will also need binders that are rated properly.

/ Chains for hauling tractor
I plan on one chain through a clevis on the draw bar and just ratchet straps on the front axle.

/ Chains for hauling tractor #7  
I use two chains but four chain binders to make four tie down points and I prefer 5/16” chains.

Attachments

• IMG_2691.jpeg
    IMG_2691.jpeg
    1,018.5 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_2689.jpeg
    IMG_2689.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 201
Last edited:
   / Chains for hauling tractor #9  
I'm in the ratchet-strap camp myself, my back just can't handle being bent over and muscling around 4 sets of chains and binders.

I use 4, 5K Lbs ratchet straps, but will also use a chain and binder to double up Fwd restraint as that has the greatest potential for highest G force load in a quick-stop scenario.

As mentioned above, your restraint value is limited to your weakest link, whether it be the chain, strap, binder, hook(s) and attachment points.