Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Chains for Snow

/ Chains for Snow #21  
Given 4wd and the ability to add weight (removing the wood if necessary and loading in some sand bags or other weight, I would try it without chains this year. I second the suggestion for a rear blade but you certainly can try it with the loader and if you think you are working too hard, maybe borrow a rear blade to compare and if it works better, then you could buy one.

I had a long drive (1300') in the country in Michigan with lots of drifting and managed to keep it clear with a Ford 2N with a rear blade and tire chains. Sometimes it was a lot of work with deep drifts but I always managed it.

Experiment this year with what you have and you'll know if you need anything else by spring time.

I suspect that eventually you'll want a more compact rear ballast box with denser weight than firewood.

/ Chains for Snow #22  
I have to use a bucket if the snow is really deep and only problem at least I have is digging into the driveway, gravel,dirt, whatever you have if it is not blacktopped. bucket pitch has to be just right so as to not dig and not float over the snow and any unevenness in the driveway can cause you to have to make adjustment to height and or pitch.

/ Chains for Snow
Lots of good comments here.

Thanks.

I doubt I will spring for a blower this first year with the JD770. I'll use the FEL and possibly spring the money for a 6' blade.

As for the Carry All...It's a big unit. It seems to me I could put probably 300 to 350lbs. of firewood on it. Just a guess. How much weight is enough??

/ Chains for Snow #24  
Lots of good comments here.

Thanks.

I doubt I will spring for a blower this first year with the JD770. I'll use the FEL and possibly spring the money for a 6' blade.

As for the Carry All...It's a big unit. It seems to me I could put probably 300 to 350lbs. of firewood on it. Just a guess. How much weight is enough??

It depends on your tractor, but 350 lbs. is not really that much. I think you'll be happier with 500 lbs. or so.

/ Chains for Snow #27  
I think I would look at some kind of blade vs a bucket, if you can't afford the blower. Buckets are so bloody slow.

I'll second that. A bucket works, but a blade that angles is by far the fastest way to clear most snows. Once in a while the snow will get deep enough that a blade won't do the job, but most of the time, it's the easiest.

/ Chains for Snow #28  
. Hi greengrass, you can find tire chains at www.tirechains.com I have a tc45d and with the type of snow we get here early in the season which is wet hard pack a blower works hard trying to throw it. It looks nice but when you drive on it the snow gets a nice glaze on it,and if your on a slope you better have some chains and dont put them on the front only, VERY BAD. i have 2link vbar chains and have not spun a tire yet.

First post and first time tractor owner. I've got a lot to learn and I hope you all can help.

I bought a JD770 used....'92 with 2500 hours and in real good shape. I have just 2 acres with a large driveway. Got sick of snowblowing so I moved up to the bucket. I live in Maine and the past 2 winters have been very white and very deep.

So, my tractor is 4wd but I wonder....will I need chains?? My rear tires are 12.4X16 Ags if that helps at all. I did purchase a 3pt. Carry All and I will use that loaded with firewood for rear weight.

I am thinking I will be better off with chains. If so, what style of chain....Just a double link or a chain with "picks"?

As you can tell I my terminology is lacking. Hey, cut me some slack....I'm a newb.;)[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• DSCN4144.JPG
    DSCN4144.JPG
    5.9 KB · Views: 219
   / Chains for Snow #29  
There have been lots of good discussions (available by searching) about chains. On my hills, I need them. I looked at them as an implement and made the investment. I also learned here that by placing the chains behind the wheels and running a bungie cord through the rim to hook the chain ends to the tire, I can just drive them on. On/off takes only a few minutes.

If you start the season without them, you can always order them at any time. They always make a nice Christmas present.

Hope you have lots of fun in the snow.

/ Chains for Snow #30  
Can you describe the drive on procedure a little more for me - sounds great. I'd presume back wheel up to near end of chain on ground, put bungee from close ends of chain through rim (??at closest point of rim to chain where it can be passed through?) then continue backing up until that part is around to ...?? (guessing the othe side almost back underneath).

Appreciate a better description as we struggled with this last year.