Chains instead of a top link for bush hog?

/ Chains instead of a top link for bush hog? #171  
Here is a video I've found from my archives that shows why it's a good advantage to keep the top link and just run chains from the A frame to the rear of the mower. This works much better with a hydraulic top link though. If I had a standard top link, I would still adjusted for this part of the clearing job.

Just be aware that it's very loud and foggy because I had the case on the camera which doesn't work that good.

This is running a brush mower with high strength grade 80 chains instead of blades. I'm running it over rocks and backing up to halfway destroyed walls. You can also get an idea why we don't run the tail wheel on mowers around here. :)

You'll see me constantly adjusting the top link to lift the rear of the mower when going backwards, and then extending the top link to lower the mower to move forward. The chains from the A frame won't ever get near the PTO shaft.

If I didn't have a rear wheel like yours, I too would run with the top link.

/ Chains instead of a top link for bush hog? #172  
It looks like chains might make it more dificult to back up into tall brush and keep the mower on the ground. i have 4 different rotary cutters and they all have different types of top link attachment. my newest is a mahindra and it has a flex hitch design and works well . i mow alot of very uneven ground with lots of ditches and small creeks to cross so raising the cutter is a must.

/ Chains instead of a top link for bush hog? #173  
I just opened up a thread on bending the lift arms on my RC. Wonder if chains would have prevented this? Allowing for a little more movement.

Yes to me that is the main reason for chain top link I got piece of chain welded a 21/2 inch long piece of flat bar on it then a 6 inch long piece of flat bar on another end of the chain drill 3/4 inch holes in both pieces of flat bar and used this for the top link just need to measure for correct length of chain works great

/ Chains instead of a top link for bush hog? #174  
Could not do what I was doing yesterday with chains. Was "eating" whole autumn olives and clumps of greenbriers. The greenbriars were dessert for it after chomping down a few autumn olives.

Can not for the life of me figure why he needs the chains in that video. Can see without the tail wheel. Was running without it yesterday. Do it every time I change the blades and retorque after then put the tail wheel on. May leave it off until I finish mowing the autumn olives.

Ralph

/ Chains instead of a top link for bush hog? #175  
Could not do what I was doing yesterday with chains. Was "eating" whole autumn olives and clumps of greenbriers. The greenbriars were dessert for it after chomping down a few autumn olives.

Can not for the life of me figure why he needs the chains in that video. Can see without the tail wheel. Was running without it yesterday. Do it every time I change the blades and retorque after then put the tail wheel on. May leave it off until I finish mowing the autumn olives.

Ralph

What can't you figure out exactly? Would back your mower with blades over the rocks and remains of walls full of cement and rocks hidden under the brush on the video?

And yes could mow autumn olives and greenbriers with chains. You would be surprised how well it would work versus the blades.

/ Chains instead of a top link for bush hog? #176  

Ralph

First question is why would anyone run without a rear wheel or wheels? That makes no sense to me. I cut a lot of autumn olives and use chains for mower support all the time. Not as blade replacements. Were you saying "could not do" regarding deck support or regarding blade replacement? The discussion gets confusing.

/ Chains instead of a top link for bush hog? #177  
What can't you figure out exactly? Would back your mower with blades over the rocks and remains of walls full of cement and rocks hidden under the brush on the video?

And yes could mow autumn olives and greenbriers with chains. You would be surprised how well it would work versus the blades.

Cannot figure out what the chains are doing. You've the hydraulic top link and connected to the bottom links. What is the chain doing?

The chains would be a good answer to the guy who asked about a bush hog to mow a field with lots of rocks. You ever launched a piece of the chain? Of course, you'd know right away because of the imbalance.

Ralph

/ Chains instead of a top link for bush hog? #178  
First question is why would anyone run without a rear wheel or wheels? That makes no sense to me. I cut a lot of autumn olives and use chains for mower support all the time. Not as blade replacements. Were you saying "could not do" regarding deck support or regarding blade replacement? The discussion gets confusing.

I find the trail wheel gets in the way when you're attacking stuff. Think I'll leave it off until I finish attacking the autumn olives and greenbriars. Got it up to retorque (with 6 ft pipe on 3/4" wrench handle). Would normally put the trail wheel back on but will wait until I actually need to mow with it.

Ralph

/ Chains instead of a top link for bush hog? #179  
Cannot figure out what the chains are doing. You've the hydraulic top link and connected to the bottom links. What is the chain doing?

The chains would be a good answer to the guy who asked about a bush hog to mow a field with lots of rocks. You ever launched a piece of the chain? Of course, you'd know right away because of the imbalance.

Ralph

So the A frame pivots on the bottom. If you're backing up against an embankment, it'll just pivot and lift the rear of the mower. If you look closely to the video, you'll see the chains slacking when backing up, which means the rear of the mower is lifting and basically climbing the slope.

If I'm mowing over uneven ground, I just extend my top link, which pushes the A frame forward, therefore slacking the chains. Then, the mower will just contour the ground as it pleases.

And back to the main discussion of this thread, the advantage of using a hydraulic top link along with chains to rear of the mower, is that I can just retract the top link all the way, which will lift the rear of the mower and will do a better job when backing up. Where a chain instead of the top link, you're stuck with a fixed position, unless you're willing to keep going in and out of the tractor to adjust the thing.

I've never launched a link of the chain, but since I last mowed, one link cracked. So next time I'll take the mower out, I'll maybe weld the link and see how long it lasts and buy a new set of chains to have as spare. Those lasted around 120 hours of mowing all kinds of brush and hitting all kinds of rocks and hidden objects in the brush. They're still fine another 200/300 hours if it wasn't for the cracked link.