Chains chains on 4600

/ chains on 4600 #1  

cowboydoc

Tractor
JD 8320 MFWD, JD 6415 MFWD, FEL, and cab, John Deere MFWD 4600, John Deere 4020, John Deere 4430, John Deere 455 mower, Deutz, and Gehl 4610 perkins skidsteer
With all the snow and ice we're having I have been getting stuck alot putting out hay for the horses and moving snow. I went to the dealer to get some chains and was told they don't sell chains for the 4600 because there isn't enough clearance. Talked to another aftermarket place and they said there was. Before I spend the money to buy them, have to have them special ordered so stuck with them if I order, I was wondering if anyone else had chains and if they were ok. I do have the MFWD and loader, only way I get myself unstuck!!

/ chains on 4600 #2  
Richard - You might consider reversing the wheels which will give you a whole bunch of clearance for your chains. I am in the proces of buying - or at least trying to - a 4700 w/ FEL and backhoe. As the unit has just arrived and is being assembled at the dealer - I went down for a vist to see how things were shaping up. The dealer had reversed the wheels as part of the factory protocal on installing the backhoe. I had previously shared your concern as to clearance on the tire chains as it does look a little tite under the rear fender lip with the wheels in the "normal" position. However - in the reversed position there is all the room in the world.
By the way what town in Idaho are you from? - I'm originally from Nampa.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

/ chains on 4600
I tried to get the dealer to reverse the wheels but said you couldn't do that with the loader on. Also said with the R4 tires on that there wasn't room between the top of the tires and fender. I said do it anyway and they wouldn't. I went ahead and did it myself and put some chains on. This dealer is so **** it upsets me. I ordered the bale forks and they weren't going to sell them to me because I told them I'd be moving 1200lb. bales and they said these weren't rated for that and couldn't sell them to me. I can appreciate them being careful but if it's my decision... Anyway I did order the chains, turned the wheels and put them on. It was a pain because I have 600 lbs. of weights on the tires.

As far as where I'm from boy you are right there! The one place we have was on the oregon idaho border on the snake just west of where you are. My uncle and grandparents place is in Caldwell and then the Triangle Ranch out by Murphy and Oreanna. My other uncle has a big place up by New Meadows. I've bought land in Bozeman, MT and up by Driggs, ID. We plan on going to one of those places in the next 5-10 years.

Have to talk more.

Richard