Chains Chains...opinions

/ Chains...opinions #21  
I have studded chains and use them on a gravel driveway. I have read that they will tear up asphalt. The studded chains will chew up concrete. I have to park mine on rubber horse mats in the garage.

/ Chains...opinions #22  
I've been considering chains for my JD4100 4WD Hydro. There are several types I can use on the rear tires, but a very limited choice for the front. Basically just a cross chain type.

Do I really need chains on all four wheels, or just the rears? I can see where front chains would help with steering.

Tirechains.com recommends the 2 link ladder type for front tires.

As far as what you need, only you can determine that in your particular circumstances.
However, I suggest getting the rear chains first (for maximum grip), then determine if you need the front chains. You can also learn to use your steering brakes.
You'll also want some kind of ballast on your 3PH unless you're using a rear blade or 3PH snow blower.

/ Chains...opinions #23  
These came with my tractor when I bought it . I don't know what you would call them but studded chain's. They seem to work pretty good in snow . I've used them pulling a few logs
out down back and had good traction there as well.

Attachments

• 100_4823.jpg
    100_4823.jpg
    582 KB · Views: 139
  • 100_4824.jpg
    100_4824.jpg
    562.8 KB · Views: 125
   / Chains...opinions #24  
I have regular ladder chains from TireChain.com and they make a night and day difference in the snow. I only have them on the rear tires though because there have been so many comments about how the gears (or something) in the front wheel system do not support chains very well. I am not sure if this is true, but I have read it so many times in so many places (including on this board) that I have resisted the temtation to try front chains on my Kubota B2410.
Roy

/ Chains...opinions #25  
These came with my tractor when I bought it . I don't know what you would call them but studded chain's. They seem to work pretty good in snow . I've used them pulling a few logs
out down back and had good traction there as well.

These are Tellefsdal chains or Aquiline Talon chains. They both look very similar.

/ Chains...opinions #26  
They look like the Aquiline chains. The Tellefsdal chains use one continuous length of chain around the outside of the tire. You can see the links where the cross chains tie into the lengths of chains going around the tire doesn't have studs (not that it matters).

/ Chains...opinions #27  
These are Aquiline Talons:

Attachments

• DSCF1415.JPG
    DSCF1415.JPG
    470.4 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCF1416.JPG
    DSCF1416.JPG
    456.3 KB · Views: 99
   / Chains...opinions #28  
You can stud your own tires although I've had mix results.
I used self tapping hex bolts, grounded the heads just a bit.
Screwed them into the lugs, used a bit of construction adhesive.
The traction was dynamite but some of the studs pulled out.
I yanked them all because I don't need a pile of bolts on my driveway.

Switched to chains, just installed them today.
I bought a set of chains which came off a semi. $50 on kijiji
One set would cover 2 tires.
I moved the rungs over so I have twice as many rungs on each set.

I had to change tires. My tractor came with rice tires and the chains would ride between the kugs.
Turf tires were $700...forget that!
I bought a pair of tires plus rims which came off a milk truck. $50
Had 2 new plates fabricated and welded them on to the rims. $125
Drilled new holes.
Done.
$275 all said and done.

/ Chains...opinions #29  
These are Aquiline Talons:

crazyal and whistlepig,
Thanks, I googled Aquiline chains and they sure do look like the TALON chains they showed:thumbsup: . I never thought that there would be so many different styles of chains out there.

/ Chains...opinions #30  
crazyal and whistlepig,
Thanks, I googled Aquiline chains and they sure do look like the TALON chains they showed:thumbsup: . I never thought that there would be so many different styles of chains out there.

There's a whare house for Tellesfdal chains in New Hampshire. My local dealer has the salesman bring chains up with him to avoid shipping charges. That was the deciding factor as they weighed over 200lbs. If you're thinking of buying chains then you may want to call a few local dealers and see if they handle Tellesfdal brand, could save you some money.