Chainsaw Brand Quality Question

/ Chainsaw Brand Quality Question #51  
I've been a full-time firefighter for over 30 years and have used a variety of saws for every purpose under the sun. Way back when, when saws were made of metal, the Homelites were king, then we switched to Huskys for a while, but maintenance costs were high. For some time now we have used Stihls. Best saws that I have ever used. When time is of the essence and durability is paramount, I'd pick a Stihl every time. By the way, my saw at home is a Stihl 029 Farm Boss with a 20" bar.

I checked out both the Sthil Farm boss and Husky 455 Rancher before purchasing the Husky,
The 290 Farm boss and Husky 455 Rancher were almost identical machines.
The husky provided less vibe, the anti vibe on the sthil uses rubber mounts the rancher uses Steel springs. Both were close to 4hp, both weigh approx 13 lbs , and engine size for both are almost identical cc's. if I remember correctly chain pitch was the same also.

The 455 provides a decompression valve (makes starting easy), I seem to recall the Farm boss did not.
The 455 provided Air injection , and the Sthil did not. (pre-cleans Air before air filter),
The 455 provided Air purge (makes starting easy) , and the Sthil did not.
I think Sthil 290 Farm boss provided the better Carb (but can be finicky with fuel mix) and larger fuel tank.

In all respects probably couldn't go wrong with either , both are a lot of saw for price point.

I've heard really good things about Dolmar's , but no one in my area carries them so I couldn't try one out.

Last edited:
   / Chainsaw Brand Quality Question #52  
I have a Stihl Woodboss, and LOVE it! It is my second Stihl saw, the first one was bulletproof but just too small for the work and trees I was putting it through. I sold it on craigslist for nearly what I paid for it! I will never own another brand.

/ Chainsaw Brand Quality Question #53  
I've recently upgraded from a Jonsered 2149 w/ 16" bar to a 2159 w/ 20" bar, and boy, will this thing cut wood! Both have the decompression for easier starting, and I get good local dealer support.

I like the fact that the 2159 can be field services without using/losing screws. :thumbsup:

/ Chainsaw Brand Quality Question #54  
Stihl is pretty good, but make sure you can remove and replace the oil and fuel caps before leaving the store.
The engineer who came up with the new design needs be keel hauled in my book.

Wedge

Agreed! +1!!! I have owned Stihl saws since 1983. I bought 2 with the flippy caps and HATE the caps. Saws themselves are great, caps suck. I bought a Makita/Dolmar last year and really like it, so much that I bought 2 more.

Check out Baileys.com. They have the Makita 6401 for $499 I think right now. Heck of a saw for the buck.

/ Chainsaw Brand Quality Question #55  
Agreed! +1!!! I have owned Stihl saws since 1983. I bought 2 with the flippy caps and HATE the caps. Saws themselves are great, caps suck. I bought a Makita/Dolmar last year and really like it, so much that I bought 2 more.

Check out Baileys.com. They have the Makita 6401 for $499 I think right now. Heck of a saw for the buck.

Eh? I've had two Stihl saws and the flippy caps have never given me any trouble. :confused: I love the quick chain adjuster too.