Chainsaw Compression Release?

/ Chainsaw Compression Release? #1  

mbjacobs

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3710 HST
I'm shopping for a new, larger chainsaw and have just about decided on a Stihl 026 or a 026PRO. The major difference is the PRO has compression release and costs $40 more. My question is - is it worth it?

/ Chainsaw Compression Release? #2  
I guess it would depend on who you are. If I was buying it for my Grandpa or wife was going to use it I would say yes, for myself no. Also though the pro has a few more upgrades, at least that's what I was told. I have it on mine and rarely use it but when my wife starts it she uses it everytime. Without it she would have a hard time starting it. It definitely makes it much easier to pull to start it.

/ Chainsaw Compression Release? #3  
I've got a Stihl 044 and I sure wish it had a compression release, but the 044 is a lot harder to pull than the 026 and I'm a whimp (just for you, Rat... /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif).

I don't have any trouble starting it at the beginning of the day, but after I've been running it a while and vibration fatigue sets in, it's really tough.

/ Chainsaw Compression Release? #4  
I have it on my Husky 372XP and love it, especially when tired or in cold weather. It's not so much the easier pull, it's more the safety of having the saw remain more stationary as I start it. None of that bar swinging to the side as I give a mighty yank.

Pete

/ Chainsaw Compression Release? #5  
That's a good point about the bar swinging Pete.

/ Chainsaw Compression Release? #7  
Sadly isn't that the way we learn most lessons? At least myself that's the way it is.

/ Chainsaw Compression Release? #8  
My dad has the 26 and I have the 26 pro. Mine is easier to start. Boondox is 100% correct about the swinging bar, especially when you're tired. btw, I have had mine for about 1 year and have really abused it clearing land. I regularly run it about 4 hours per week. It has seen hard use. When clearing the cedars it regularly hits rocks and soil. Just keep the chain sharp and oiled and it should last a long time.

/ Chainsaw Compression Release? #9  
Just bought a husky 350 with the release and it sure was an improvement to brother in laws 55 rancher in regards to starting. The guy that I bought it from also sales and services saws for the local loggers. He said that the release cuts down on a lot of wear and tear that sometimes comes from starting. I can't remember if it was something mechanical or what. I do know that I am more likely to shut it down before crossing a few logs than I was with the others. So I guess there is a safety factor after all along with starting on the ground without swinging it. The 26 pro would be my choice if the husky service hadn't been so superior in my area.

/ Chainsaw Compression Release? #10  
I've had an 038 for years, we used to heat our house with a wood stove. The saw doesn't have a compression release, but it would sure would be a nice option at times. Like Boondox I have first hand experience with a swinging bar, the saw was already running, I got my foot tangled in a vine while I was clearing out some small trees and brush where my brother-in-law was getting ready to build a pond. Luckily it didn't go deep, but it sure was a wide "scratch".

Gene