Chainsaw Maintenance

/ Chainsaw Maintenance #1  

Youare

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3000
As I was using my Husky 257 last weekend it started to run poorly, it would start fine but when the throttle was applied it just quit. Then I remember something from past experience why this could be happening, it turns out I was correct.

I don't know how many other people with chainsaws have had this problem but I thought I would share this. MY problem was related to a small fuel filter located in the fuel tank. The part costs less than $3.00 and takes 5 minutes to change. Some saws have a felt filter others have a plastic type.

What hapens is the filter keeps particles from getting into the carb. but also traps and holds water that may find it's way into the fuel. Eventually enough water gets trapped in the filter so that only a small amount of fuel is able to get to the engine.

/ Chainsaw Maintenance #2  
That is one of the most common things on a chainsaw to need replacing. The saws aren't used most of the year and often the fuel containers get contaminated with dirt and moisture.

/ Chainsaw Maintenance #3  
I have an echo weed eater that also has ---had ---a cone shaped one in the fuel line at the carb. Would start for a second then quit. I replaced the filter in the tank and removed the filter in the line and have had no problem since. 'Course the correct way would be to replace both, but wasn't able to find the inline at the time and the machine is 15 years old anyhow ---- if it quits again - guess I'll just have to buy a new one. darn the luck.
mfk