Chainsaw sharpening machine

/ Chainsaw sharpening machine #81  
I keep a black permanent marker at the sharpener and mark the first tooth I grind. Then watch for that to come back around as I sharpen left and right angle teeth. That is also the mark I look for when grinding down the depth cutter links.

/ Chainsaw sharpening machine #82  
I use white paint markers in my work and always have one in my pocket so that's what I use my eyes are not that great anymore.

/ Chainsaw sharpening machine #83  
I use white paint markers in my work and always have one in my pocket so that's what I use my eyes are not that great anymore.
Agree on the eyes.
I've got a 20yr old pint can of paint, I just put a dab on where I start. Many of my chains I label so I can tell them apart.
My ripping chain for my Deere w/ 28" bar, .375x.050 chain is 93 links.
My ripping chain for my Stihl w/ 28" bar, .375x.050 chain is 92 links.

Getting a 93 link chain on either is easy. Wasted a bunch of time trying to get the 92 link on the Deere. Similar situation with my Efco and Stihl w/ 16" bars.

So I put a twist tie thru w/ a label and start sharpening at the label:
attachment.php

I pencil in the number of links, and keep the label w/ the chain, borders on ****, but with my mix of bars and chains I need something. I probably should get rid of bars of similar size requiring different links count.

Saws 'n bars:Efco MT 3600 ($50 - 10", 16"), Stihl 021 (12", 16") , JD CS 62 (, 20", 28"), Stihl 660 from ebay (28", 42")

Attachments

• nt-front-low8x6.JPG
    nt-front-low8x6.JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 1,853
   / Chainsaw sharpening machine #85  
   / Chainsaw sharpening machine #86  

Looks like a repaint of the NT grinder:

NT grinder
193020_lg.jpg

couldn't grab a pic form the TSC site.

Look at the stop for the depth gauge and the vise, almost identical. Note that prices have recently risen. The NT grinder WAS $120, now it's $130 reg. price. I bought mine about a year ago for $90.

Thoughts - NT was the best bang for my buck.

However at $130 your getting vlose to the low end Oregon http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_351196_351196 for $199

/ Chainsaw sharpening machine #87  
Doing a quick search on Ebay for Chainsaw sharpener there were about 10 pages of sharpeners. Like Newbury said they look like the same unit. If you aren't sharpening chains weekly almost you won't need top of the line to get fair results. Having the chain holder sharpen accurately in both angles is the biggest thing.

/ Chainsaw sharpening machine #88  
From having owned the unit (Oregon 511A) these chino clones were derived from and having one of these clones now (love it best money spent in awhile) all I can say is don't trust the scales!!!

You will be fine meaning take a new chain w/motor turned off and mark scales according to what you see with your own 2 eyes using the angles on the chain box check it all because they don't give a rats butt about precision they pin those scales where they feel like.

With that said its just a tool we need to learn how to use them to do what we want no biggy enjoy the machine it will pay for itself so fast its not funny.