Changed all my fluids, found a small drip...

/ Changed all my fluids, found a small drip... #1  

joerocker

Silver Member
Tractor
Farm Pro 2420
Ok, I have 10 hours on my FarmPro 2420 and I changed all my fluids. Everything went well and I want to thank whomever made that "100hr maintenance" page at the CTOA web site. It helped a lot. One thing though, my hydraulics didn't take NEAR 2.5 gallons. Maybe 1 gallon. I had the hitch all the way down. I was filling it and the fluid started pouring out the fill hole...

I noticed when I was crawling around underneath that I have a small drip coming from what appears to be a "weep hole". I could take a picture if needed but its underneath behind the engine just behind where the engine and transmission meet there is a flat spot maybe 4 inches square with a small hole in the middle. It's behind that big round gasket and it's not the gasket. There is some oil coming out the hole. Anyone know what is causing it? A worry?

Thanks!

/ Changed all my fluids, found a small drip... #2  
Can you tell if it is Engine Oil or Gear Oil ??

Ronald
Ranch Hand Supply

/ Changed all my fluids, found a small drip... #3  
The hydraulic sump is supposed to have a 9 liter capacity, not including what's circulating in the system. If you only got a gallon in, that suggests you didn't flush the old crap out. Drain and fill doesn't work the first time, you have to get rid of what they filled it with prior to putting it on the ocean transport. Drain again, put ~9 liters of kerosene, start the tractor, work the hydraulics and the steering, drain. Use a big bucket, cuz you're gonna get a lot more out than you put in.

Being the proud owner of a shiny new tractor, I assume you washed it at least once. That weep hole is to permit moisture to drain out of the clutch housing. With the engine on one side and the transmission on the other, it's probable that a drop or two of oil may get in there from time to time. Mostly though, it's "clutch dust". When condensation forms inside (or after power-washing), water will mix with the dirty, slightly oily, clutch residue. The weep hole gives it a place to get out.

Park your tractor facing uphill to let any accumulation find the weep hole. Rub the stuff that comes out between your fingers. Sometimes it's easily identified as just dirty water. But if it's dirty oil, then it would be a good idea to track down where it's coming from.

//greg//

/ Changed all my fluids, found a small drip... #4  
<font color="blue"> I noticed when I was crawling around underneath that I have a small drip coming from what appears to be a "weep hole". I could take a picture if needed but its underneath behind the engine just behind where the engine and transmission meet there is a flat spot maybe 4 inches square with a small hole in the middle. It's behind that big round gasket and it's not the gasket. There is some oil coming out the hole. Anyone know what is causing it </font>

Hey Joe,

I would keep an eye on it and keep a check on the fluid level in your Transmission and Engine.

Did you use Non Foam oil, Compatible with Copper/brass, etc? If not you can get it in 80w90 or 85w140 at WalMart's, in Gallon containers. I use 85w140 in the transmission, because it is so warm down here on the Gulf Coast, but most use 80w90. I put 85w140 to try and prevent leaks. So far, I don't have any leaks on my 224. But as the hours and years roll along, I expect to get a leak somewhere.

Dick/Thingy also has a small leak at aproximately the same location on his Jinma254. He has close to 500 hours on his now and says that it leaks about 1/2 pint or so a year, but that it hasn't affected his clutch and that he noticed it when he was going up/down in hilly areas on his property. The small leak on his tractor, hasn't seemed to affect anything. He is in Virginia, and you can talk to him over at: "http://nortrac.proboards26.com/index.cgi" .

This might be a warranty issue, so, I would keep an eye on it. If it continues, I would contact your dealer, so that he can take care of it, with your warranty.

Get your tractors running &
Have a nice day,
Joe /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Changed all my fluids, found a small drip...
Thanks for the timely replies.

I'm almost positive it's trans oil. It's pretty thick and I used the 80-90 when I changed it yesterday. It's a very slow leak, in fact I didn't see any on the ground after parking it all night in the grass. I think I'll put some newspaper under it today since I ran it a few hours today. I'll see what's there tomorrow. I did go up and down some "fairly" steep slopes the first time I used it.

As for the hydraulic oil. Hmmm, maybe because I DON'T have power steering it's a smaller amount? All I did was remove that drain plug below the upper 3pt connector and let it drain. Then I refilled it. I didn't trust flushing it. The new fluid went all over because I was expecting it to take more. It was about a gallon before it came pouring out, even had to drain some more to get the level between the lines of the dipstick.

Well I've put 9 hours on it now. Cut my 6 acres and leveled out a house pad area. The fuel gauge actually worked for a few minutes when I first started it this morning. Showed a little less than 1/2 tank which looking into the tank seems about right. So, I figure 9 hours on about 2.5 gallons. GREAT! What a fuel miser! Hmmm, every third tank I have to change the oil?!?

I'm getting more and more used to it as I use it more. I still like it. It sure is noisy though. All kinds of rattles and sounds. But I guess it's no noisier than my riding lawnmower. Just different sounds. This is my first tractor and first time ever on one.

Thanks again for all the advise!

/ Changed all my fluids, found a small drip... #6  
<font color="blue"> As for the hydraulic oil. Hmmm, maybe because I DON'T have power steering it's a smaller amount? All I did was remove that drain plug below the upper 3pt connector and let it drain. Then I refilled it.

The fuel gauge actually worked for a few minutes when I first started it this morning. Showed a little less than 1/2 tank which looking into the tank seems about right. So, I figure 9 hours on about 2.5 gallons. GREAT! What a fuel miser!

It sure is noisy though. All kinds of rattles and sounds. But I guess it's no noisier than my riding lawnmower. This is my first tractor and first time ever on one.
</font>

Hey Joe,

On my Hydralics, I did the same as you. I didn't flush mine either, but don't tell anyone else. I honestly don't remember how much that I put in mine to fill it back up, but as you pointed out, you don't have power steering and mine does. I used the 2 gallon jug of Tractor Hydralic/Transmission oil for my hydralics, that I also got at Wal Mart. But I don't think that it took the whole jug, but It's been a while, and I honestly can't remember exactly how much that it took to fill it up.

On the Fuel Guage, I am suspecting that it is a loose connection, which might be at any one of the connectors, starting at the tank and making sure that all of the connections are tight. One of the plug in connectors, might not be snugly fitted together. With your ignition switch in the on postion, you could try wiggleing each connection, and watch the fuel guage to see, if it starts to work.

Diesels do make more noise, as a norm, more than a Gasoline Engine does. My engine is a Y380T, engine, and it may be the same engine as yours. I consider my 380 engine fairly quiet and smooth compared to my first Chinese Tractor that was a 24 hp, 2cylinder engine. But mine is still louder, than my 12hp Briggs & Stratton engine on my lawnmower.

I have found that most all tractors start to drip oil, at one place or another, over time, so I wouldn't worry myself about it too much. But I would keep an eye on the drip and I would report it to your dealer, for documetation, if warranty work is required. Isn't it a comforting thought that you have a 2 year warranty on your tractor. You can sleep well at night, knowing that you have a security blanket with your tractor.

Make absolutely sure Joe, that you have oil, in that creeper gear reservoir though, and I mean Absolutely Sure , ok, just for safety sake. You can check it 2 different ways, by taking, the drain plug out from the creeper gear reservoir, to see how much oil, that you get out. Or the best way, is to remove the top plate cover, on the creeper gear reservoir. Some of the tractors, didn't get oil to the creeper gear reservoir, from the main transmission reservoir. It's probably fine, but needs to be checked to make sure.

This is extra information, but you may find it helpful in the future. This is my procedure for startup.

1. Out of Gear
2. Little bit of Throttle.
3. Compression Release Engage
4. Depress Clutch
5. Glow Plugs
6. Engage Starter
7. Disengage Compression Release

So far, mine starts first time, everytime, with this method.

After a while, you will most likely get addicted to diesel engine tractors, just like the rest of us, and you'll grow to love your New Tractor.

Don't hesitate to ask any and all questions that you might have. We all help one another here and enjoy helping you.

Have a nice day,

OK, got it home yesterday after a couple of hours using it to level a house pad. Someone mentioned going up and down hills, I did have it tipped a bit yesterday too. My property is rolling. Some steep enough to tip you over if you went across the hill.

It was dripping. Same spot, flat part underneath just behind that big round gasket. Seems to come out of that weep hole in the center.

I put some newspaper under it yesterday afternoon and I'd say I get maybe a teaspoon total. It seems to drip while it's running and/or right after you stop running it because all the actual oil on the newspaper got there in a few hours and then it stopped. I rearranged the paper this morning and there hasn't been any more in almost 6 hours.

So, any ideas? Heat thing? Thinning oil thing? I'd like to hear what y'all think before I talk to the dealer. I'd sure hate to have to pay to have it sent back to the dealer if I don't have to.

/ Changed all my fluids, found a small drip... #8  
<font color="blue">So, any ideas? Heat thing? Thinning oil thing? I'd like to hear what y'all think before I talk to the dealer. </font>

Hey Joe,

Personally, I would report the leak, to your dealer and do as he suggests, since it is under warranty.

He may tell you to continue to operate the tractor and keep an eye on it, or he may say that it needs to come in and get repaired.

There are two side cover inspection plates, to access the clutch, and you or him, may be able to shine a light inside those openings. I don't know, if you will be able to see anything or not, but I would first talk with your dealer to see, how he wants to handle this.

One of the other's here will most likely jump in on this and shed more light, on this problem.

When you flushed the transmission, did you drain the oil from the creeper Gear Reservoir? and did you flush out through the creeper gear reservoir, also? The creeper gear reservoir, has it's own drain, which is separate from the main transmission reservoir drain.

Have a nice day,

/ Changed all my fluids, found a small drip... #9  
Hey Joe,

I found this reply from Dick/Thingy, over at the NYCTO Forum, and thought that I would pass it along to you.

<font color="blue"> Got about 470 hrs now on mine,,,,and read on the other board that a guy was having the same leak as mine in the bell housing out of that weep hole,,,mines been leaking oil from there for since it was about new,,,,,it comes and goes,,it seems like trans oil [almost 100 percent sure],,,,,maybe 7-8 drops at a stop,,,seems like it leaks most after running on hills,[I got a few very steep hills,so steep,that I added over 200 lbs of weight to the front],,,,I have taken inspection plates off,,there are two places,one where shaft goes through,and one a bolted plate,,can't get a wrench in there to see if bolts are loose,,but bolts were still in place,,last time I checked,,,,,clutch works fine,,so,oil it seems is not getting on it? thats all I know about that,,I have been using 30 and 40 weight motor oil in trans,,now using 40 weight nondetergent and an addition of one gal of lucas,,so,,its pretty thick now,,,,other than splitting tractor to do exploratory surgery,,think I'll just keep on with the drips,,and keep my fiingers crossed,,I'm believing its a design thing,,there is an opening around something that lets oil seep into bell housing if on a steep hill,,,cause if it were about anything else,,it woulda got worse by now,,or you would think?I even read this on a web page of a guy named stewart or something,,can't remember,,years ago,he was a regular on old ctoa and had his own web page like john,,he said on there that oil could leak out of trans if tractor was parked nose downhill,,last time I looked for the page,it wasn't there. thingy </font>

A lot of us frequent both forum Sites, and I welcome you to join this forum as well. They are all nice fellows there and I think that you will like the site. JohnS, Dick/Thingy, Harry and his good wrenches /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif, Jim-- a Professional Diesel Mechanic among several other Money Making Ventures, GregG, F100, Ray's the Forum Site CEO, and many many others there, that will share information with you and help you with your Chinese Tractor.

Have a nice day,

OK, I took off the access panel today and there was oil in the bottom. There are two "low areas" that had some oil puddled. The way the weep hole is drilled some oil sits all around it without completely draining.

I talked to the dealer, he was good about it, he said just bring it in and we'll fix it. BUT, I have no way to do that myself and would have to rent, or pay to get it there. He suggested, like some of you here, to watch it and if something else goes wrong bring it in then.

Anyway, back to the access panel...I wiped out the oil from the rearward low area so that if it fills up again I can tell. The front with the weep hole is too tight to get it all. I'll run it later and see what happens. If I get no more oil I'll chalk it up to oil left over during manufacturing/assembly and count my blessings.