Changing brake shoes on Ford 8N tractor

/ Changing brake shoes on Ford 8N tractor #11  
This is a very "timely" thread! I'm lovin' it! Gotta do a full brake job on my 9N. The seals have been leaking for years.

You can literally stand on the brake pedals and you'll get a faster stop from a good headwind than those brakes!!! :mad:

Oh yah, is there anything "special" about replacing the axle seals?

AKfish

/ Changing brake shoes on Ford 8N tractor #12  
on a 9n/2n go with sureseals...

soundguy

/ Changing brake shoes on Ford 8N tractor #13  
I hope I am posting to the right place,I need some advice on getting the brake shoes off the backing plate,I have the drums off but cannot go any farther.

/ Changing brake shoes on Ford 8N tractor #14  
I need some advice on getting the brake shoes off the backing plate,I have the drums off but cannot go any farther.

Carefully remove the springs and they should spread apart over the brake shoe retainer. Might be worthwhile to invest in a pair of brake spring pliers to remove and install the springs - Easy to hurt yourself as they are very stiff.

I have used vise grips to get a handle on the springs.

/ Changing brake shoes on Ford 8N tractor #15  
penetrant oil helps too!

/ Changing brake shoes on Ford 8N tractor #16  
the brakes on the old fords were not like modern discs brakes on your truck or sedan. There's a couple of reasons: there is a lot of play and "flex" in the long rod connecting where you step on the "pedal" and where the little cam gets turned to activate the shoes. On mine, the pedal can be "pedal to the metal" ie, bottomed out against the foot rest, thus preventing total pressure being exerted on the pedal. Also a little bit of oil leaking on the drum affects the friction the shoe can exert. Also remember the new shoes are not "arc ground" to fit the same radius as the drums have, and take a little while to wear down enough to allow the entire shoe area to press onto the inside of the drum, there may only be a small part of the shoe contacting the drum when new. Also this is a 50 year old tractor, not a Ferrari.
simonmeridew

/ Changing brake shoes on Ford 8N tractor #17  
if you are pedal to the metal.. you have some warn parts in need of re-speccing.

/ Changing brake shoes on Ford 8N tractor #18  
Thank You everyone for the post.
My father went and used a bigger hammer and the came right off.Everything has been re-installed and a new tire to go with the new brakes.
Thanks

/ Changing brake shoes on Ford 8N tractor #19  
How do you get the shoes off of a ford 600 tractor. There is two pins that hold the shoes on and we don't know how to get the pins out.

/ Changing brake shoes on Ford 8N tractor #20  
Remove all of the springs and bend the clips that hold the anchor pins in place. Remove the two spring loaded washers that has the nail going through the center. Spread the shoes and remove the adjuster. Last thing to remove are the anchor pins. Often they are rusted in pretty good so apply penetrating oil from both sides and allow it to soak in. Use a brass drift if possible to keep from mushrooming the pins - An air hammer with a flat faced drift will save a bunch of knuckle skin.