Oil & Fuel Changing HST oil & filter and checking strainer on my Kubota BX

/ Changing HST oil & filter and checking strainer on my Kubota BX #1  

tractorgp

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25
In this video I am changing the transmission oil, installing a new filter and checking the HST strainer. The video also shows two homemade tools that I use for this procedure.

/ Changing HST oil & filter and checking strainer on my Kubota BX #2  
Good video. Covers ALMOST everything to be done. I only have one question. Why is the Hydraulic fluid you drained out so dark? When I drained mine out it was still almost completely clear. Did you add a dye so it would be easier to check on the dip stick? Mine is still clear after running for over 600 hrs after first change. I've been thhinking about adding some of the John Deere dye to make it easier to read the dip stick.

Dave

/ Changing HST oil & filter and checking strainer on my Kubota BX #3  
I think that was from the residual gunk in his drain pan. Look at the stream of oil from the drain hole to the pan and the oil from the filter change. Both looked just slightly yellow and translucent.

/ Changing HST oil & filter and checking strainer on my Kubota BX
Good video. Covers ALMOST everything to be done. I only have one question. Why is the Hydraulic fluid you drained out so dark? When I drained mine out it was still almost completely clear. Did you add a dye so it would be easier to check on the dip stick? Mine is still clear after running for over 600 hrs after first change. I've been thhinking about adding some of the John Deere dye to make it easier to read the dip stick.

Dave

I just put some of the old oil in a clear glass and I think it is darker than I found from an earlier oil change. But to some extent, as crashz suggested, the color is partly due to the old stuff in the the pan and the opaque pan material might be a contributing factor.

Anyway I haven't had any problems with the hydraulic system so hopefully nothing to worry about.