Changing Hydraulic/Trans Fluid

/ Changing Hydraulic/Trans Fluid #1  

coolbowfin

Tractor
Branson 2810
I am new to the world of tractors and have a question about changing my trans/hydraulic fluid.

When you drain the old fluid from the system does a certain amount of fluid remain in the hydraulic hoses and tubes or is the idea to get out all of the old fluid. If it is, then how do you get the fluid out of the tubes/hoses in the loader without bleeding it somehow?

Hope my newbie question makes sense. Thanks.

/ Changing Hydraulic/Trans Fluid #2  
yes.. some fluid will stay in the pumps, hoses and rams.

if your oil is very contaminated, I'd put in some sort of water grabbing agent like seafoam transtune, warm the machine and drain, then refill with the cheapest oil I could find, add more watter grabber, run the machine again, till warm and circulate it.. IE.. put it thru it's paces for a few hours, then drain it, then refill it with oil. that would be a flush and drain.

if your oil looks ok and is just ready for changing due to age or hours.. then a simple drain and refill should be fine.

soundguy

/ Changing Hydraulic/Trans Fluid
OK, sounds good. I'm going to open it up tomorrow and take a look. Never realized how much oil goes into these things. Mine takes 9.25 gallons. Thinking about what I am going to drain it into. Any ideas?

/ Changing Hydraulic/Trans Fluid #4  
couple 5g buckets sound about right.

soundguy

/ Changing Hydraulic/Trans Fluid #5  
I'd ONLY worry about getting ALL of the oil out if there is a reason to believe that it is contaminated. If a regular oil change, then doing the extra flush and drain wouldn't be necessary.

coolbowfin: Any indication or experience that your tranny is contaminated?

Childs swimming pool is another way to catch the oil, if getting a 5 gal bucket under there is a problem. But do it where some spillage won't be a headache. :D

/ Changing Hydraulic/Trans Fluid
I just got the tractor a week ago so haven't had a look yet at the fluid. It has 366 hours on it and everything on it looks in excellent shape. No reason to think it is contaminated but I'll soon find out. The manual calls for trans/hydraulic fluid change at 300 hours and I don't want to assume that the previous owner did this. I guess I'll catch the old fluid in 5 gal buckets then pour it back into the containers that the new fluid comes in to recycle. I've learned a lot about tractors in just a few days since joining this site. Thanks guys.

/ Changing Hydraulic/Trans Fluid #7  
yep.. if it comes out still transparent.. it isn't needing a flush likely. if it comes out emulsified like a milk shake... flush time!

soundguy

/ Changing Hydraulic/Trans Fluid #8  
My tractor has two drain plugs so a 5 gal bucket under each plug works great.