Changing R4 tires to R1

/ Changing R4 tires to R1 #1  

Hunter61

Tractor
New Holland TC30
I would like to change out my tire from the R4 industrial to R1 Ag tires using the same rims on my 4x4 TC30. The front tires are 25x8.50-14 rear 15-19.5.
Any help would be great, Thanks

Last edited:
   / Changing R4 tires to R1 #2  
Smart move. R4 pretty much stink for most real work.

Now for the bad news. Most R1 tires will not fit R4 wheels. Also, even if they did you need to keep the rolling ration the same so that it does not put your front axle in a bind when in 4x4.

You will most likely need new front tires and wheels along with new rear tires and wheels.

Chris

/ Changing R4 tires to R1 #3  
When I went to get my Kubota I asked about R1s and he said to change from R4s I 'd have to buy new rim's .
As far as R4s go , I like them and don't think I'd be any better off with R1s. It all depends on what you want to do with them. They make R4s as well as any other tire for, "work".

/ Changing R4 tires to R1 #4  
In my opinion keep the R4 tires. I have had both plus Turf tires on several tractors.
If you are going to be doing a lot of mud work, pulling a plow or discing consider going to R1 tires. I carry round bales in mud up to the belly and do fine with R4's. Most of my property is hilly, no problem with R4's.
One thing you might consider is the wear and tear on a thin wall tire (R1) in rough areas, rock and brushy stumps.

/ Changing R4 tires to R1 #5  
Yep you can read for hours... maybe days on here about the R4 vs R1 debate. I have R4. but see plus points to both. But I will "me two" on needing new wheels as well as tires. Not a cheap endeavor unless you can find someone with the same tractor wanting to go the other way.

James K0UA

/ Changing R4 tires to R1 #6  
You will need new rims. No big deal, I would advertise on craigslist. There is much more demand for R4's than R1's on that tractor so you should not have too look to long to find someone who would trade. Also, The R4's are more money new so the trader should expect to throw you a little cash with the deal.