Charging problem on my John Deere 4100

/ Charging problem on my John Deere 4100 #11  
Towmater - do you have a part number for the alternator?

/ Charging problem on my John Deere 4100 #12  
Towmater

Do you have an update? Did the dealer find the problem? Do you have a part number for the alternator?

/ Charging problem on my John Deere 4100
Well, my tractor has been there for two weeks and no calls. I just called them and they said the have a relay on order for it and that is all she could tell me. How about that! I wasted all my **** money over a relay! Another lesson learned it is better to just take it to the dealer first! I'll give you the info when I go and pick it up. The alternator # though is SE501843. Was $220 dollars when I bought it. If I were you I would wait until I find out what the relay is and where t is located. My loss, your gain! Good for you!

/ Charging problem on my John Deere 4100 #14  
Thanks for the update. I couldn't go 2 weeks without the tractor. I have 4 draft horses and they poop often and alot.

Three weeks to the day I picked up my tractor from the dealer. They found a relay bad # M808087. They told me it is under the plastic cover by the steering column on the right side, second one back from the front. They found 28volts coming out of the alternator, 28volts going into the voltage regulator but none coming out. Thy tried a new voltage regulator (even though I put a new one on) and same thing. That's when they found the relay bad. I now have 13.36 volts half throttle and 13.49 at full throttle. Even when running all the lights I never go below 13.04 volts. The bad news... they are not sure if that will fix the draining issue! I have a FLAMMING river disconnect switch so I'm not to worried about that since it will now charge while running! I'll try to post another update once I monitor it for a few weeks. I'm hoping all my troubles are behind me now and hope to help others with my findings. Man, it cost me $350! The stupid relay was $90.48. Good luck all!

/ Charging problem on my John Deere 4100 #16  
Thanks for the input. The John Deere Illustrated Parts Manual lists the M808087 Relay as the PTO Indicator Lamp (Safety Relay) in the location that you describe. The terminology of the relay is a little confusing as to why it would control voltage from the alternator to the battery. I will try and trouble shoot the problem tomorrow. I need to double check and see if I get any output from the alternator.

absaroke said:
Thanks for the input. The John Deere Illustrated Parts Manual lists the M808087 Relay as the PTO Indicator Lamp (Safety Relay) in the location that you describe. The terminology of the relay is a little confusing as to why it would control voltage from the alternator to the battery. I will try and trouble shoot the problem tomorrow. I need to double check and see if I get any output from the alternator.

Update, my tractor has been good ever since. So far s good! I talked it over with some buddies of mine and fell that the key word of the relay is "safety". Probably something tied in with the tranny for safety. I'm just glad it is finally charging.

Well I thought I would post an update. The tractor for sure is fixed. It has been good ever since the dealer replaced the relay! Whoohoo! I still use a disconnect switch but the trouble of draining the battery while running the truck is fixed. Any tractor can drain a battery over time if it sits long enough so that's why I use the disconnect still. Good luck all and I hope this helps somebody else in the future :0)

/ Charging problem on my John Deere 4100 #19  
Tx for the update! :thumbsup:

How about that, still working great!!! Thought I would pass it on since charging issues can be one of the most frustrating problems to fix. I was looking at my threads and I never mentioned I believe it is some sort of safety relay that's tied with the transmission. This would make sense because if it was malfunctioning it would always pull a draw and/or cancel a draw. Hope this helps others in the future. If anything, another option to consider.