Charging valve / hydraulic accumulator

/ Charging valve / hydraulic accumulator #1  

ponytug

Tractor
Power Trac PT1445
Only an issue for those of you with charging valves or accumulators:

So, I have been chasing a charging valve problem for awhile now. The symptom was that the charging valve would cycle every every minute and a half or so when cold, and ten to twelve seconds or so when hot. Brakes on or off, it cycled. When it was hot, there was a noticeable lock up/freeze to the steering, as well as an audible "thunk" as the valve cycled and the engine took a sudden load.

So I called Power-Trac. (Huge thank you to Terry in all of this!) Terry had me replace the M931 charging valve, and this isn't the first time for me. They usually wear down and leak oil out around the spring. Bright side, I am getting pretty good at replacing the charging valves. My trick is to unbolt it from the chassis and disassemble it hanging over the side. Way more room. I tried, but no luck. I still had a rapid cycle. Then he suggested that perhaps one of the hydraulic brakes was leaking internally, i.e. leaking from the motor to the case drain. To check that involves jacking each corner of the tractor up, removing the wheel, cleaning the living daylights out of the brake hose area; I had pressure washed the whole tractor first and there was still tons of gunk embedded in the channel for the brake hose, especially the front left. I clearly need to blast that area out better after mowing, and dirt moving. So more air blasting and brake cleaner followed by power cleaning with wire brush wheels, rinse, and repeat until spotless. Then you disconnect the brake hose and cap it with a metal (-4 (7/16") on mine) 37 deg SAE male flare plug, and cap the motor with the matching female cap. Power the engine up and time how long it takes the big spring on the charging valve to cycle with the brakes off. (Tractor tires blocked, of course!) Repeat for all four wheel motors. Note to self, and others, try not to do this with chains on the tires as the tires are somewhat tough to slide into place for some reason as the chains do a good job of grabbing. I thought that this would take hours, but it went rather quickly. (That is after I had ordered set of caps and plugs...)

If capping one wheel motor stops the cycling, or significantly delays it, you have found your problem brake. Do all four, just in case you have more than one bad brake.

Mine had no difference. Bummer. Called Terry back.

He suggested that it might be a bad accumulator, or at least an accumulator in need of recharging. Mine is only thirteen years old. I can't imagine why it would need recharging. (joking!) Terry offered to do a rapid service turnaround, if I overnighted the accumulator to Power-Trac, as they are closed for Thanksgiving week. I had a nightmare vision of the shipping company losing the accumulator for a few days and me being without the use of the tractor for a couple of weeks. So, I found a fairly local hydraulic supplier that was willing and able to recharge the hydraulic accumulator ($27!). Quick removal of the accumulator, (plug the charging valve port, or you will have oil everywhere!) drive to the shop, wait while they recharge it (as it turned out, my accumulator was at zero psi), drive back to the ranch, put accumulator back on, and start the engine. Watch the big spring with bated breath. Time the cycle time of the spring. Wait, wait, wait...

No more rapid cycling of the charging valve!

I will be ordering a new accumulator from PT tomorrow, as I am sure that my current accumulator is beyond its useful life at this point. Meanwhile the tractor is running, and I am not sweating bullets if UPS/USPS/FedEx misplaces a package for a few days. I am also not paying a third or a quarter of the price of a new valve just to ship the old one to PT. For the record, accumulators are technically not serviceable in the sense that you can't replace the internal o-ring on the piston, but you can recharge them.

For what it is worth, only the brakes and the accumulator are on the same hydraulic circuit, but you probably knew that already.

Thanks again to Terry, who even called me back Monday morning to make sure that I was set. He is just plain amazing.

All the best,

Peter

P.S. photos

Pre wire brush and air cleaning right front, but after power washing. I did try to clean things out, but clearly I need to do better behind the rims.
628E0269-1079-4E1B-9F43-8B081FC2F7D5.jpeg

After wire brushing and having been blown out with air. The cap and plugs are on and the brake disconnected.
EB1278FA-F0E0-4015-9799-98A97B17384B.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Charging valve / hydraulic accumulator #2  
Good work and good write up there Peter!

Did they recharge the accumulator with nitrogen or air? I'm guessing nitrogen...?

/ Charging valve / hydraulic accumulator #3  
Had similar problem with my 1845 when I first got it many years ago.

/ Charging valve / hydraulic accumulator #4  
FWIW, I believe they are not suppose to ship precharged nitrogen accumulators via mail or ups for safety reasons. (?)
Compressed gas (in this case dry nitrogen) is considered hazardous or dangerous and either restricted or prohibited.
So your local recharge place might be handy when the new replacement accumulator comes in.

/ Charging valve / hydraulic accumulator
Generally, the recommended charge gas is nitrogen; that is what my local shop used. Same price for 10cu.in. or a gallon. Given the use case argon seems worth the cost, but I haven't seen anyone offer it.

Parker-Hanifin makes a similar looking unit, ACP05AA016E1KTC, but don't quote me on the last three configuration letters, which are for Buna o-rings (K), and a SAE -8 fitting (TC). I have no idea what PT actually uses. Upgrading to "H", hydrogenated nitrile o-rings might be of interest, as they have a greater temperature range. Brochure

All the best,

Peter

Yes, @wdchyd you are right about compressed gases. As far as shipping accumulators goes, I believe that while compressed gasses have significant DOT and UN shipping restrictions, many manufacturers of accumulators have specific DOT exemptions.
For Parker, more information on the shipping exemption here.
I know Hydac has something similar.

All the best,

Peter

/ Charging valve / hydraulic accumulator #7  
Hmmm, never seen or heard argon used for this application. I’ve only used dry nitrogen when doing recharges.

I was not really serious about using argon. Nitrogen is dry, nonreactive, and is dirt cheap.

Argon is rather pricey, but it diffuses a little more slowly than nitrogen. (20%ish) You would need to move up to xenon to get to a diffusion rate that is half of nitrogen's. Absolutely not worth it in my book.

One $27 recharge in 1,200 hours and 13 years is doing pretty good in my book. If the current one has leaked down once and is nonrepairable, I know for sure the recharged one is going to leak down faster just due to worn and aging seals.

I am always impressed at how long gas struts last in cars. I have had a couple go for twenty years. Same idea, different application, though the tractor cycles way more often than my hatchback.

So, I am still going to buy a new accumulator, with nitrogen, just like you have always used.

All the best,

Peter

Thanks! I hope that it helps someone out.

All the best,

Peter