Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,221  
I took my Mobley and laptop to my Mother's house to show her something on the internet. AT&T just turned on a new tower about 1-1/2 miles from her house. Before they did this your phone might ring in her house if you were standing in a certain spot on one foot with your left index finger touching your nose. You had to go outside to have a conversation. Now I can plug in my Mobley and surf away at some amazing speeds considering being out in the sticks. Who would have ever thunk it :)

Did you check the signal strength?

When I first got mine I used the AT&T Wi-Fi Manager (192.168.1.1) to move the mobley around the window frame looking for the strongest signal. Three bars was the best I could get in this rural location. Sometimes the speed wasn't good.

Then I used a speed test site looking for the fastest speed while moving the mobley around the window frame. Moving it just a quarter of an inch can drasticaly effect the speed.

The fastest speed was with one bar, this was at -116 dBm:

-116.JPG

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,222  

When I first got mine I used the AT&T Wi-Fi Manager (192.168.1.1) to move the mobley around the window frame looking for the strongest signal. Three bars was the best I could get in this rural location. Sometimes the speed wasn't good.

Then I used a speed test site looking for the fastest speed while moving the mobley around the window frame. Moving it just a quarter of an inch can drasticaly effect the speed.

View attachment 532183
I'd be tickled to get that. :thumbsup:

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,223  
We have been enjoying our hotspot till this pay cycle. They throttled it back to barely 4g. I called and asked why. She said we exceeded 22gb. I told her it was only supposed to be throttle back in congested networks and we aren稚 in one. She pulled a screen shot showing as such and sent it to the escalation team. They never called and the new cycle started today. So much for unlimited fast internet. If it happens again I値l call with a different tone. We have exceeded 22gb every month we have had it and no issues till now.

Brett

that's how these things begin... the noose tightens slowly..

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,224  
We have been enjoying our hotspot till this pay cycle. They throttled it back to barely 4g. I called and asked why. She said we exceeded 22gb. I told her it was only supposed to be throttle back in congested networks and we aren’t in one. She pulled a screen shot showing as such and sent it to the escalation team. They never called and the new cycle started today. So much for unlimited fast internet. If it happens again I’ll call with a different tone. We have exceeded 22gb every month we have had it and no issues till now.

Brett

What do you mean by throttled back to barely 4g?

Mine hasn't been throttled and they haven't turned the stream saver back on. I definitely exceed the 22 gb every month. At 66 now and sometimes go over a 100.

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,225  
What do you mean by throttled back to barely 4g?

Mine hasn't been throttled and they haven't turned the stream saver back on. I definitely exceed the 22 gb every month. At 66 now and sometimes go over a 100.

That is an interesting catch. What AT&T says is that they will throttle to 2G speeds (128kbs) if/when they throttle you for overuse and while on congested towers. Obviously AT&T is playing fast and loose with this topic and isn't following any specific ruleset. But I would expect if they did apply a throttle (or deprioritize) it would be harsher than 4G speeds.

Rob

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,226  

View attachment 532183

Checked it again just now at the same location. My signal strength is -103 dBm.

Mobley Speed Test 1.JPG

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,227  
Dredging this thread up again to see whether the plan is still available from ATT or totally gone? Also, anybody have reports of slow-downs? Mine is still working happily for me at full speed all the time, even when I'm much above the 'max' data.

Rob

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,228  
Over 45gig with 11 days to go, no slowdown.

Plan is gone, checked yesterday. Mobleys were in stock.

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,229  
Yes, it is still available, but it is $25 and doesn't appear to be unlimited anymore. It is a 5 GB plan, but says "$0.00 for additional GB over 5 GB".

Who knows, and I'm sure AT&T won't if you call them.

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,230  
Have had a couple of speed hiccups but nothing to indicate they were throttling. Haven't looked to see if the plan came back but I assume it's gone for new customers. Still getting billed $22 here and very happy. Hope it holds out for us.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

MFG 40 HP boat with trailer (A34007)
MFG 40 HP boat...
2013 Ford F750 Water Truck (A33548)
2013 Ford F750...
2016 Kubota SVL75-2 Skidsteer (A34009)
2016 Kubota...
6 GMC automatic transmissions (A34236)
6 GMC automatic...
8 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
8 Yard steel end...
2007 Ford F750 2000 Gallon Water Truck, (A33078)
2007 Ford F750...