cheap air compressor question

/ cheap air compressor question #1  

jmc

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford 1920 4x4 (traded in on Kubota). Case 480F TLB w/4 in 1 bucket, 4x4. Gehl CTL60 tracked loader, Kubota L4330 GST
Hello,

My wife wants an air compressor to keep in the garage to top off her tires. It has to be small enough to pickup and carry. She's been thru several small models with no reservoir that haven't lasted too well and wants to try one with a tank this time. If it's like any of the compressors I've ever owned, it will leak down in a day or two and then instead of a quick fill, she'll have to wait for the tank to pressurize. Does anyone know of a model that's small and holds its pressure for awhile?

John

/ cheap air compressor question #2  
IR(Ingersoll-Rand) makes some compressors, maybe even a cheap one from HF with a large tank and get yourself a long hose with a retractable hose real. All of them that I know of will leak down some at the fittings and the pressure relief valves. You could find out where they are leaking from with some soapy water in a spray bottle. Teflon tape all the fittings, including the hoses and quick connectors. If you get a bigger compressor, it's a good reason to buy some nice pnuematic toys..er tools:D.

/ cheap air compressor question #3  
How about a bigger compressor with a longer hose, so all she has to move is the hose.

A 25' hose and a HF compressor that you just leave plugged in and on all the time would work.

/ cheap air compressor question #4  
Hello,

My wife wants an air compressor to keep in the garage to top off her tires. It has to be small enough to pickup and carry. She's been thru several small models with no reservoir that haven't lasted too well and wants to try one with a tank this time. If it's like any of the compressors I've ever owned, it will leak down in a day or two and then instead of a quick fill, she'll have to wait for the tank to pressurize. Does anyone know of a model that's small and holds its pressure for awhile?

John

I have 3 portable compressors and 4 large stationary units three of them are 220 volt so they are not very portable.
(3 barns, a garage and 2 basements) I don't like hauling them around!

I have an 20 year old Craftsman Industrial "Hot Dog" compressor that is oil free but it has a 1700 rpm motor so it is much quieter than the average oiless compressor. Because of the size and weight of the 1700 rpm motor it would be a handfull for the average woman to carry around.

I also have a Ported Cable pancake compressor that is a real work horse.
It came with my framing nailer, it produces 5.3 scfm at 90 psig but draws a full 15 amps. It fills the tank very fast but is loud while it is doing it. It is a bit lighter than the old Craftsman, but not by much.

My all time favorite for portability along with a reasonable noise level is my little Ridgid oiless compressor with dual aluminum tanks. It is just about perfect for your application, weighing next to nothing, I like it a lot. :D:D It was only about $100 at Home Depot.

All of these compressors will fill the tanks in a matter of seconds so leaking down isn't a big issue. None of these leak much, they might start once a day if they are left plugged in.:D:D

If I only had one air compressor and it had to be a small one I would buy a quality compressor, the little Makita hot dog compressor from Amazon.com. It has an oiled pump and should last for many years. I have seen them for around $160 every once in a while.http://www.amazon.com/Makita-MAC700...ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1261288262&sr=8-1

Attachments

• DSC02910.JPG
    DSC02910.JPG
    521.2 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC02909.JPG
    DSC02909.JPG
    580.5 KB · Views: 59
   / cheap air compressor question #5  
If it's just for tires a little 12 volt would work nicely. They can be carried in the vehicle too. Price is much better also.:D

There is one in all of our vehicles.:D

/ cheap air compressor question #6  
I have one of theseair compressors
I hardly use it anymore but it did the inflation job for many years. I've seen what looks like the same unit with different packaging at Big Lots and other stores. I have a bigger compressor now to run air tools. The only problem I ever had was water must have gotten into the pressure gauge and froze while at my farm.

/ cheap air compressor question #7  
Our local Harbor Freight has this one on sale for $89.99. This is an incredible deal. I have had this model for a couple of years and it still has no leakdowns and I run many air tools with it and it recovers very quickly.

It is light enough for me to carry but not exactly easy enough for a lady to carry around but a simple 25' hose will usually reach where you want it to and if not, it does roll very easily from one spot to another and holds enough air to fill 2 car tires even when unplugged.

I consider this to be one of the finest tools I have purchased from Harbor Freight. :)

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=95386

/ cheap air compressor question #8  
I bought 1 of these just like new off craigs list for $80.00

/ cheap air compressor question #9  
Our local Harbor Freight has this one on sale for $89.99. This is an incredible deal. I have had this model for a couple of years and it still has no leakdowns and I run many air tools with it and it recovers very quickly.

It is light enough for me to carry but not exactly easy enough for a lady to carry around but a simple 25' hose will usually reach where you want it to and if not, it does roll very easily from one spot to another and holds enough air to fill 2 car tires even when unplugged.

I consider this to be one of the finest tools I have purchased from Harbor Freight. :)

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=95386

I've got the same compressor and have been happy with it. $90 less 20% coupon is $72 - can't beat it.

/ cheap air compressor question #10  
I have a Slime 12V compressor that plugs in to the 12V outlet in her truck. I have had it for several years. Weighs about 2 pounds. I can not think of anything more handier than this.