CHEAP BALLAST BOX??

/ CHEAP BALLAST BOX?? #1  

flINTLOCK

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA 2002
I did a search and found many styles of BB's, homemade and storebought. I wondered what the cheapest workable solution might be? 55 gal drum filled with sand? Any good stories out there??

/ CHEAP BALLAST BOX?? #2  
I plan to use the 55 gallon drum with concrete or sand, but I can't locate a drum! Seems like they used to be available everywhere, but I've been looking for months now. Most of the places that used to sell them stopped due to epa issues since they contain paint or liquids on the surface. If anyone has a good idea for a source, please share it.
Thanks.

/ CHEAP BALLAST BOX?? #3  
I haven't looked locally for actual 55 gallon drums, but if you're going to fill it with cement you may be better off using a cheap garbage can as a form and cutting away what you don't need. I suppose in a pinch you can also make a form out of scrap lumber.

/ CHEAP BALLAST BOX?? #4  
How about getting one of those $100 carry-all frames from TSC or Harbor Freight or somewhere, and then putting whatever you want on it for weight. Then, you can use the carryall for other things, when you're not using it for a ballast box...

For example, you could haul a sprayer on it, etc. They're VERY handy for those folks who don't have FELs, but they could still be useful for those who do...

/ CHEAP BALLAST BOX?? #5  
I just made one today. I had a 18" diameter piece of drain pipe. Filled it with concrete with a 1" shaft running through the middle, no top link needed. Can't wait for it to cure so I can put it on the tractor. :D

/ CHEAP BALLAST BOX?? #6  
Ford850 said:
I plan to use the 55 gallon drum with concrete or sand, but I can't locate a drum! Seems like they used to be available everywhere, but I've been looking for months now. Most of the places that used to sell them stopped due to epa issues since they contain paint or liquids on the surface. If anyone has a good idea for a source, please share it.
Thanks.

You mean like this one ? I got it from the local barrel company. It was a used juice barrel, only $10.00 without the head. They get about $20.00 for a standard oil drum with bungs all clean, painted and ready to use.

I hope to get some concrete in it soon.

Attachments

• 5-23-07.jpg
    5-23-07.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 3,288
   / CHEAP BALLAST BOX?? #7  
Ford850 said:
Thanks.

Don't know if you have farmer's co-operatives up there but here in Tn. virtually all of our 96 counties each has one and they all use methanol in their tire shops for tractor tires and the drums it comes in are absolutely beautiful - pretty blue outside and spotless inside. They give them away here, I drill holes in the bottom and burn my paper trash at home in them.

/ CHEAP BALLAST BOX?? #8  
flINTLOCK said:
I did a search and found many styles of BB's, homemade and storebought. I wondered what the cheapest workable solution might be? 55 gal drum filled with sand? Any good stories out there??

Around here you can get free used oil drums from the local Quick Lube guys. I also agree with jdbower that the plastic garbage can might be a better choice.

/ CHEAP BALLAST BOX?? #9  
I made mine from a plastic 55 gallon drum. The car washes just throw them out around here, so they are free for the taking.

Cut it down and left a space above the concrete to carry some chain and used the lid to make it waterproof.

/ CHEAP BALLAST BOX?? #10  
Hear is mine about 800 pounds with chain storage under the lid. I left about 10 inches of space near the top to put stuff. Just filled it with cement. Works great. Tucks in real close to the tractor too