Cheap Cutting Torch?

/ Cheap Cutting Torch? #11  
I have a set of Craftsman regulators from the mid 80s. The Oxygen regulator stopped working so I took it to Sears for repair. They do not repair them anymore. I have to check with some local shops to see if anyone will repair it. If not, I'll have to buy new. Won't be from Sears, though. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Cheap Cutting Torch? #12  
If you're only going to cut a few times per year, why not either have wherever you're getting the steel cut it for you or just go slow and burn through a few blades?

Last 2 projects I had, the metal supply company that I went to made each cut for $10 (a lot but don't do it that ofte) and more recently I had to cut through 1/2 steel -- 4 pieces. Just used the receprocating saw and went through 3 blades (the heavier metal cutting demolition ones).

/ Cheap Cutting Torch? #13  
Although torches are a nice versatile thing to have I find a cutting disk on an angle grinder will out cut a sawzall. The disks are about $3 and depending on what you cut last as long as a metal sawzall blade. Plus you have the added benefit of being able to grind things smooth and bevel edges. My inexpensive Craftsman is holding up very well. Just watch out for dry leaves... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Cheap Cutting Torch? #14  
Another avenue for "cheap" tools is to check out your local pawn shops or Buy & Sell stores. They often have pretty good stuff; Know your brands (Victor, Miller, Hobart) and know what it costs new. Don't be afraid to dicker on the price! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Bob-Oregon

/ Cheap Cutting Torch? #15  
I've been eyeing this set.
I like the angle grinders.Get my 7' disks from Grainger and when they get smallish,I run them in the 4". Harbor Fright cut/weld set

/ Cheap Cutting Torch? #16  
I have that exact H/F kit.
I had to change the acy regulator spud because it comes set up for the bigger (lease size?) cylinders. I bought my cylinders in stead of leasing.
I use a pair of Victor goggles with magnifiers instead of the set that comes with the kit. Just more comfortable.
That H/F kit will do everything that I need.
I don't think you will be cutting 6" thick HY100 with it, the reg's seem a little low on flow capacity for that, but again, it does everything I need and it's only for occasional use.
If I had to use it every day and depend on it for my living I would choose a better kit, but for $100 bucks? Go for it.
BTW, you may be amazed at the things you can set on fire accidentally, so be careful out there.
Here's the sad thing, every buck that goes to China lowers our standard of living, sad but true. We are all guilty in some manner.

All the best,
Martin

/ Cheap Cutting Torch? #17  
Thanks for the input of the HF torches AntrimMan.So far,I haven't failed to be able to get around NOT having torches!! But I get silly thinking about what I could do if I DID have them.My home delivery route nets me some dandy tips come Christmas time and I think I will grab some torches and get my bottles from TSC.For some weird reason,the welding shop guys like to go home at noon on Saturday and we all know you run outta gas at 12:03!

/ Cheap Cutting Torch? #18  
I bought a set of Firepower torches from TSC. They are made by the same company that makes Victor(present day products) from what I understand. Come equipped with Cutting and welding Torches. Also built in flashback arrestors.

Have worked well for me so far with no problems. About $150.

Attachments

• 774625-firepower.JPG
    774625-firepower.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 221
   / Cheap Cutting Torch? #19  
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( <font color="brown"> BTW, you may be amazed at the things you can set on fire accidentally, so be careful out there.
</font> )</font>

Good advice!

I once set myself on fire while grinding. It was cool out and had three shirts on, the outer one being a sweatshirt. When it reached the inner-most one it got my attention. I am now very mindfull of where those sparks are going.

This incident gave my wife a chance to whoop, holler, and laugh. I think she quite enjoyed it!

/ Cheap Cutting Torch? #20  
I've found the angle grinder to be a great solution for almost any metal cutting need, as long as you can at least get to what you need to cut, and you have electricity handy................
That said, I've had my bottles (well, exchange) and Victor torch for about 30 years now with no problems. In your (our) kind of use, they'll last pretty much forever...........