cheaper diesel fuel

/ cheaper diesel fuel #11  
Mad,

That's what I understood too - that diesel burned alot dirtier with some stink. I've only burned K-1 so far and I don't think the smell is really all that bad (certainly no worse than my little 28K btu convection heater .... of course it might be because of how much ventilation the building has. I have a ridge vent the entire length, plus a 1' overhang on all sides with perforated soffit, and I haven't managed to get the gap under the skirtboard closed up all the way yet - maybe about 75%. I have a 13' eave height, with a 23' or so peak.

Thus far, in sub 30° weather, the torpedo heater hasn't been able to move the temperature inside the barn at all from what I can see. But it's nice to stand in front of when you get cold working out there. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Like Duane was saying, probably the first thing I need to do (since I can't do concrete for a few months), is stick in a ceiling. I'd guess that would make a huge difference. Now the question is what to use .... ?

/ cheaper diesel fuel #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have often wondered if it is just a tax issue and nothing else,if you drive your truck on the public roads you have to buy the diesel with a tax on top of the fuel price,if you use a non licensed vehicle for off road you can legally buy the off road brand.The dye is just a way for the goverment to tell if you are paying your tax. )</font>

This is precisely the case. The dye is added simply so over-road truck fuel can be easily examined by peaking into the tank. Heating oil IS road diesel - they come out of the same tanker.

Jay

/ cheaper diesel fuel #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( I have often wondered if it is just a tax issue and nothing else,if you drive your truck on the public roads you have to buy the diesel with a tax on top of the fuel price,if you use a non licensed vehicle for off road you can legally buy the off road brand.The dye is just a way for the goverment to tell if you are paying your tax. )</font>
==========

*This is precisely the case. The dye is added simply so over-road truck fuel can be easily examined by peaking into the tank. Heating oil IS road diesel - they come out of the same tanker.

Jay )</font>
*This being the case on road off road home heating oil and fuel oil are all the same stuff.
Only the color and or the name changes.

/ cheaper diesel fuel #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( This being the case on road off road home heating oil and fuel oil are all the same stuff.
Only the color and or the name changes. )</font>

How many times am I going to have to repeat myself. Your statement is FALSE. It is NOT the same EVERYWHERE. What you are assuming is NOT TRUE and you know what happens when you assume. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You have to ask your distributor to see what HE IS SELLING. Not all distributors, even those in the same locale, get their fuel and heating oil from the same source. In your area both may be the same BUT NOT EVERYWHERE. Please stop spreading your incorrect information unless you qualify it with a statement noting that "in my area it is the same".

/ cheaper diesel fuel #15  
Cheaper does mean lower quality! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Approximately 5% of the entire annual on-road diesel fuel supply is condemned by fuel inspectors prior to its delivery to the consumer, this represents 1 out of every 20 gallons of fuel produced.

All adulterated (gasoline), contaminated (water, bacteria, fungi, dirt, etc.), and substandard (does not meet minimum cetane or sulfur requirements) diesel fuel supplies are subverted to the off-road home heating oil market since they are illegal to sell on-road.

Getting just ONE of those contaminated substandard rot gut gallons into your diesel engine is guaranteed to cost you allot more than a major headache..... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif