Check Out My HPX

/ Check Out My HPX #21  
As tommy said jd doesn't make squat. They don't but if notice tommy does. Tommy also has a dual alt setup with a toyota car alternator. The stock one puts out 20 amps and I think he said the toyota puts out 90 ?

/ Check Out My HPX #22  
yea the toyota puts out about 90 amps i'm lookin for a new one right now so it might be a diferent make and model alternator . my wire came loose on it and started to ground out and it fried the regulator inside atleast thats what a mechanic buddy told me. but i'll be replacing it soon with another one. the way i have it wired up is both batteries are hooked together but they have a disconnect switch in the middle and i have one big battery running to my alternator .and the other car battery i done away with the little stock battery i have the stock system charging it. now if at anytime i need full power to everything i just flip the switch under the seat and i have the power of both batteries and both charging systems all put together thats about 110 amps with the alternator and stock charging system. now the batteries are a 550cca and a 900cca the 900cca is a marine deep cycle and the 550 is a regular light duty truck battery.i have a 1000 watt inverter i use for my sawsall and it works just fine. i can run it for 30 to 40 minutes with a 50' cord and the batteries just start to drop down to 12v but if i rest a light brick on the peddle and bring it just above idol the batteries never drop and i can run it indefinatly. i might try a diferent size pulley on the next alternator to see if i can get a faster rpm spin at idol. but i like to have plenty of juice if i need it.lol

/ Check Out My HPX
Yea I run the john deere high output alternator. I think it's a 60 amp but its tied in with the ignition. It seems to take some horsepower.

What kinds of starter problems are you guys having?

I've been through some deep nasy stuff but my gators only got 39 hours on it. Its already starting to growl a little when I let off the switch.

How hard are they to change?

I thought about rigging up a pull start like what was optional on the old gators in case of a starter problem out in the woods.

/ Check Out My HPX #24  
i have never had any problems with my starter. i do believe in keeping eveything clean though. i pressure wash it alot.it gets buried in the mud pretty good.i think skip had a starter problem but it was from starting and stopping the hpx while it was emersed under mud.there is one thing i found out that will cause something like a starter failure and it's the ignition switch mine hangs up every so often and the starter will drag . but to start it i just turn the key all the way to one side like i am trying to start it and then back the key off a hair of a turn and it fires right up.i have been wanting to replace it but i know how to star it and it still works so i'll use it til it goes out all the way.the best thing to do is keep eveything lubed up if you look at my pictures you'll see oil deposits all over thats from mee spraying oil and grease. i learned i good lesson about useing a really good degreaser soap to clean the hpx i burned up a hanger bearing. the degreaser cleaned out all the grease and oil and the bearing was left dry so from now on i wash it down with the same degreaser then i come back and put a fresh coat of oil and grease. don't forget to pack the grease ert under the hpx!!! there is a hanger bearing there too it needs grease and it has an ert on it. skip can give you details on how to take that starter down and clean it out and repack it.you did put your fly wheel cover back on after right?

as for as the alternator goes maybe the deere alternator has more drag on it but i didn't notice any hp loss when i installed my alternator.

/ Check Out My HPX #25  
i would put a second battery and split the charging system that way you have two . put a battery isolator switch in the middle to isolate them then run the alternator to the extra battery and let the stock system charge the stock battery.you don't have to run a big battery just run another stock deere battery if you want to but i think it would be better that way if you ever had a dead battery you could just flip a switch and jump start yourself if needed(i had to do that one time)you can see my secone battery i have mounted on the drivers side is a huge marine deep cycle battery . the next one i go with will be smaller .
badassgator2gn2.jpg

1003855rj6.jpg

/ Check Out My HPX #26  
Like Tommy said. If you do much mud sitting be prepared to take your starter off and clean it. :)
It's not that hard. You have to remove the flywheel cover~!

/ Check Out My HPX #28  
I think it's a 60 amp

40. It's what I have too (standard on diesels) and does well with 2 extra 55w lights I added under the roll bars and the stock headlights. Speaking of those extra light BOTH are now dead. Before when I flipped the switch only one would come on but 5 min ago I was out there and neither worked... Sigh.

/ Check Out My HPX #29  
Tommy,

With tires like you have on your Gator, & I have on my Turtle (RTV)
Ain't much mud sitting can be done, maybe mud moving, or slingging,
but not sitting. Mud sitting is where you don't want to be. Nothing moves !:cool:

/ Check Out My HPX #30  
yea mud sitting is when your getting aquainted with your pal the winch. the 589's do bite i haven't really got stuck sense i got them other than when i hit the big rut but that was a bottom out thing i was high and dry.lol when these wear down i'm goin with a pair of 26's