Check out this big ole' bad boy!

/ Check out this big ole' bad boy! #21  
I've always loved nature and trees have always amazed me. These lovely wonders can really get busy! Check out this tree in a city park on the Columbia river. Biggest tree I've ever seen, and the photos don't do this creature justice! I'm 6 foot tall and can barely reach the bottom of that first branch which is in and of itself, massive to the core.
Looks like a Black Ash from the bark and branches. This one was about 100 years old and it died near my house so I had it taken down. It was around 40" dbh

They seem to grow pretty fast with wet feet! It was a fence tree so its going as firewood and I got a cord in the first 9'!

/ Check out this big ole' bad boy! #22  
We lost a huge white oak that they say was there for over 200 years. I used to drive past it all the time and thought it was great bog old tree, but din't know it was anything special 'till after it came down.
local news story: Frederick County's Maryland Bicentennial Tree topples - The Frederick News-Post Online

I have what I'm pretty sure (not much of tree guy) is a tulip poplar in our back yard that sure looks from the ground like it's over 100 feet tall. The canopy of it seems about 100 around and the trunk has to be over 4 feet thick. Unfortunately it will be coming down soon as it is dying (hollowed / rotting trunk)

/ Check out this big ole' bad boy! #23  
We have dozens of huge live oaks in southern Louisiana, many on old plantation sites. The first photo is some of the oaks in out local Thomas Jefferson Playground. The second photo is the largest oak in Audubon Park in New Orleans.

Attachments

• park.jpg
    park.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 93
  • audubonoak.jpg
    audubonoak.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 120
   / Check out this big ole' bad boy! #24  
Our property is a sheltered creek valley between two farms. We have some great specimens in the 100-150' range. Red and White Oak, Beech, Tulip Poplar, and a giant Sycamore with two forks each about 4 feet across. I love my big trees, but they can be a drag when we have years as wet as this one. Lost a huge ash during the floods of September in Pennsylvania.

/ Check out this big ole' bad boy! #25  
We lost a huge white oak that they say was there for over 200 years. I used to drive past it all the time and thought it was great bog old tree, but din't know it was anything special 'till after it came down.
local news story: Frederick County's Maryland Bicentennial Tree topples - The Frederick News-Post Online

I have what I'm pretty sure (not much of tree guy) is a tulip poplar in our back yard that sure looks from the ground like it's over 100 feet tall. The canopy of it seems about 100 around and the trunk has to be over 4 feet thick. Unfortunately it will be coming down soon as it is dying (hollowed / rotting trunk)

that was near me.

/ Check out this big ole' bad boy! #26  
Here's a Bur Oak we've been visiting since college, in McBaine, MO. Actually the 2nd largest tree in the state: 402 points vs. the champ swamp chestnut oak with 435 points. Still, she's estimated to be in the 600yr old range!

148318015_EDTYi-XL.jpg

148318029_Dcy5s-XL.jpg

148317950_uvjTq-XL.jpg

/ Check out this big ole' bad boy! #27  
Here's a Bur Oak we've been visiting since college, in McBaine, MO. Actually the 2nd largest tree in the state: 402 points vs. the champ swamp chestnut oak with 435 points. Still, she's estimated to be in the 600yr old range!

Thanks for sharing! Looks like I will be making a detour off 70 during one of my STL to KC trips.

/ Check out this big ole' bad boy! #28  
CT's largest tree is a sycamore.

images

images

images

JB

/ Check out this big ole' bad boy! #29  

148317950_uvjTq-XL.jpg

Wow that is huge!