Check prices online before shopping at Walmart

/ Check prices online before shopping at Walmart #1  

s219

Tractor
Kubota L3200, Deere X380, Kubota RTV-X
So I needed a primer bulb for an outboard motor fuel line, and googled last night to see what was out there. I was pleasantly surprised that the lowest priced most convenient option for me was Walmart, who had an Atwood bulb for $10.86 and showed it in stock at the nearby store. Amazon had it for the same price, but I figure I may as well pick it up locally in town.

I get to the store this morning, and they have it, but for $18.96. I tracked down a manager, showed him the product on their website for over $8 less -- all along assuming they simply had it marked wrong at the store -- and he says "we can't price match walmart.com, end of story". I asked him about the walmart.com "pickup in store option" where I could order online and get it from that very store. He seemed to think there would be a shipping charge so it would cost more, and basically blew me off. So I went out to my car, placed the order on their website for $10.86 plus tax for store pickup with my iPhone, then headed across the parking lot to Lowes to buy some lumber. 45 minutes later I get the e-mail from Walmart that my order is ready, and go pick it up.

Obviously, that is completely idiotic. Makes me wonder how much of their stuff is higher priced for "in store" shoppers who don't do price-comparison checking online. I sure won't be making any meaningful purchases there in the future without first checking the online price. Why the heck wouldn't I order online to save money (over 40% less in this case) and have it waiting for me at the store with no need to checkout? I used to like Walmart, but they are a bunch of pinheads now.

/ Check prices online before shopping at Walmart #2  
I had a similar experience there recently buying a Nook tablet. I used the same solution, except the idiots took over 4 hours to process the order, then when I went to pick it up, no one was around to deliver it. Finally a store manager came over and just gave it to me because the computer was down. Now I'm getting emails to come and pick it up. Hmmmmmm........naw.

/ Check prices online before shopping at Walmart #3  
"we can't price match walmart.com, end of story".

So Walmart can't compete with itself? :confused2:

/ Check prices online before shopping at Walmart #6  
What y'all should have done is ordered it in front of the manager.

I order a lot of their stuff online at Walmart, Home Depot, and Lowes because then I'm sure it will be there plus my Navy Federal gives me a bigger kick back.

You just have to make DARN sure they don't bring up what someone else returned. Which has happened to me 4 times. I've been given used cans of paint, taped together packages with parts missing, wrong items.

One time at lowes they gave me the wrong electrical wire and I tried to point out I ordered 250' of 14/2 not 12/2 but the sales droid insisted they were correct. I didn't take that up with the manager.

/ Check prices online before shopping at Walmart #7  
Has anyone compared Walmart prices with Sam's Club? Is the membership worth it?
Only if:
You want to buy in bulk - 10 lb of hot dogs, 2 gallons of ketchup.
They have what you want when you want it. They are very flaky in hardware.

Walmart has almost EVERYTHING online, like Amazon.

/ Check prices online before shopping at Walmart #8  
Has anyone compared Walmart prices with Sam's Club? Is the membership worth it?

A membership is worth it if you go at least 3 times a year. They have a better selection than Walmart and they even have some stuff made in USA. Some products are packaged in bulk but the statement "10 lb of hot dogs, 2 gallons of ketchup" is an exaggeration.

/ Check prices online before shopping at Walmart #10  
Maybe Walmart really wants you to order on-line. Walmart is all about super-efficient logistics. If they are trucking an item that is already sold, that may make sense over trucking an item someone may buy, someday, maybe. I dunno, just a thought.