Check your coolant.

/ Check your coolant. #4  
Great info and something I have been wondering about for my Toyota. Thanks, Mace for post.
What about those sacrificial anode rods mentioned in the attached article? Anyone use one or know about it? As well, my Toyota coolant change suggests flushing with the thermostat removed, which seems like a hassle. I had planned to just flush as best I could and just do the coolant change more frequently than suggested. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
I do know that coolant change on tractors is almost as important as an oil change and have heard tales of plugged water passages causing unequal cooling and heating and scoring cylinders and ruining engines.

/ Check your coolant. #5  
The anode works like the one in the water heater. It gets eaten away to fight corrosion. It is used up with time. See this link for info. Anode

I have removed the anode from old water heaters and usually there is nothing left but a thin wire. Lots of corrosion in the water heater. These can be replaced to keep the water heater in use. Usually they are never replaced and the water heater fails with time.

Mace thanks for posting. I knew about the voltage testing but learned more from the links you posted.