check your linkage and nuts/bolts!!

/ check your linkage and nuts/bolts!! #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
Drove the 5000 w/10' 3pt mower down the road to my pasture this am to cut about 7 ac of cow pasture... was about 5.5 ac into it when i hear a loud snap and Klang, and feel the mower tug oddly. I was on the clutch fast and looked back to see my right lower lift arm not hooked up...

After i got down to check it out, I find that the right side cat 2 lift pin on the mower sheared off at the a-frame support ( 1/2" thick a-frame bolted to 1/2" plate coming off mower deck. ) Setup uses the lift pin as a forward bolt. then has 2 1/2" bolts making atriangle pattern.. for each side. Top of aframe has another couple 1/2" bolts and spacers.. yada yada..

Mower was dug in the ground good.. didn't feel like dropping her completely as I thought I might have a time hitching back up with 1 corner buried 4".. After looking around I see the mower hit the stub of the old pin and tossed it a ways,.. no apparent blade damage. Looks like my sway chains keeper nuts loosened up and allowe dthere to be some side to side movement and when i went around that last corner it popped the pin clean off.

Had to call the wife on the cellphone.. luckilly she was in the next pasture trying to teach some manners to a mule. We rode tot he house and I rummaged around and found a spare cat 2 pin, and then loade dup my farm jack, 3/4" socket set.. a couple BFH's and a copper maul.. a big drift, and a few assorted large pipe wrenches and adjustable wrenches, as well as a couple extra har pins to use as drifts if needed.. and a new lynch pin.

Had to drive the slug of the old pin out and then loosen that side of the a-frame bracket so i could get the new pin in. It had a single nut and lock nut. I salvaged the old nut from the remnants of the old pin and used it like a keeper nut. In all.. betweent he drive time, gathering tools and the repair.. I killed an extra 1.5 hours on a job that should have only been a couple hours anyway. Oh well.

After the fix, I had to finagle with the pto shaft and toplink to get them out of a bind so I could then get that other arm hitched.

Once on the go I took her easy for a pas to make sure I had everything buttoned up... Poured the fuel to her after that and knocked out the last acer or soe and then headed for home.

The worst part about it was the longhorn that kept coming over every time I stepped of fthe tractor or mower deck. ( I got a real pushy cow that will get on ya if not carefull ).. so i had to keep an eye on the hostile bovine while working. Nothing like that to keep you alert..

In short.. check that linkage often!!!

soundguy

/ check your linkage and nuts/bolts!! #2  
Good post, Soundguy!

For those of you who use Pat's Easy Change. The lynch pins and bent washers tend to come off now and then. I haven't done it yet, but you might be better off using a nut and bolt or something other then the lynch pin.
Re-rigging an implement in a field (or even on the lawn) is a pain...once you find the missing hardware!

/ check your linkage and nuts/bolts!! #3  
Loosing a pin or breaking a bolt usually happens to me while I am crossing a creek or extremely muddy area. It isn't a mean old cow, but it isn't much better.
David from jax

/ check your linkage and nuts/bolts!! #4  
Wow, talk about strange.

I was up north rototilling food plots on my tree farm and the left 3pt lift pin sheared off of the tiller. It felt "funny" and I looked back to see the tiller was crooked. I let off of the HST peddle - WRONG MOVE!!! The tiller was still running and ran forward on that side and started tilling the left tire! YIKES!!! My right hand was on the 3pt lift control and started to jerk it up -> WRONG MOVE! That allows the tiller to pivot more INTO THE TIRE! Somehow, I was able to simultaneously, stomp the clutch, hit the forward HST and stop the PTO. Whew!... Close call, only some minor munching of the a few lugs. Could have been much worse.

My reflexes are tuned to pull up the 3pt when there is trouble. Usually, trouble is in the form of thousands and thousands of rocks. Glacier Poo is what I've started calling them. Small 2-4" all the way up to ones that the tiller can't even twitch when it hits them. Many many many are in the 1' x 1 1/2' range with only a hundred or so that needed the FEL to pop out and just a couple that the FEL could get out but not lift. It's amazing how your body reacts with a learned response. It's also amazing how hard it is to correct, when it's the wrong response for the situation.

I'm afraid that the 12 hours of hard tilling with the ground hard as an angry diamond due to no significant rain for the past 2 months. The swampy areas are dry and dusty. Driest I've seen it - ever. Fortunately, I have 2 spare 3pt lift pins in the Kubota tool box along with enough tools to do the R&R. When you are working in the woods and it's almost 2 miles back to the truck - be a good scout!

So, Sounder, When did you pop your pin? Mine was about 7:30 pm. Had it back to work by 8 and tilled 'till sundown. Then was back in the saddle for 10 more hours today. Must have jumped off of the tractor a thousand times to pick rocks and give them the heave ho. Talk about sore... Thankfully, I didn't have to worry about an angry cow. Although, there are a fair number of bears (4-5 different sized droppings), coyotes and an active wolf pack. Wolves chased my buddy off of the blood trail of a doe he arrowed at last light last year. Only found scraps of fur the next day.

jb

/ check your linkage and nuts/bolts!! #5  
Soundguy, no matter how often you check em it will happen.

I tack welded the nut on my pins to the threads. I can still break em off, but they won't unscrew and I can always grind the spot weld off to replace the pin if needed.

/ check your linkage and nuts/bolts!!
My right lower cat2 lift pin on the mower popped at 5:30pm est.

Soundguy

john_bud said:
Wow, talk about strange.

I was up north rototilling food plots on my tree farm and the left 3pt lift pin sheared off of the tiller. It felt "funny" and I looked back to see the tiller was crooked. I let off of the HST peddle - WRONG MOVE!!! The tiller was still running and ran forward on that side and started tilling the left tire! YIKES!!! My right hand was on the 3pt lift control and started to jerk it up -> WRONG MOVE! That allows the tiller to pivot more INTO THE TIRE! Somehow, I was able to simultaneously, stomp the clutch, hit the forward HST and stop the PTO. Whew!... Close call, only some minor munching of the a few lugs. Could have been much worse.

My reflexes are tuned to pull up the 3pt when there is trouble. Usually, trouble is in the form of thousands and thousands of rocks. Glacier Poo is what I've started calling them. Small 2-4" all the way up to ones that the tiller can't even twitch when it hits them. Many many many are in the 1' x 1 1/2' range with only a hundred or so that needed the FEL to pop out and just a couple that the FEL could get out but not lift. It's amazing how your body reacts with a learned response. It's also amazing how hard it is to correct, when it's the wrong response for the situation.

I'm afraid that the 12 hours of hard tilling with the ground hard as an angry diamond due to no significant rain for the past 2 months. The swampy areas are dry and dusty. Driest I've seen it - ever. Fortunately, I have 2 spare 3pt lift pins in the Kubota tool box along with enough tools to do the R&R. When you are working in the woods and it's almost 2 miles back to the truck - be a good scout!

So, Sounder, When did you pop your pin? Mine was about 7:30 pm. Had it back to work by 8 and tilled 'till sundown. Then was back in the saddle for 10 more hours today. Must have jumped off of the tractor a thousand times to pick rocks and give them the heave ho. Talk about sore... Thankfully, I didn't have to worry about an angry cow. Although, there are a fair number of bears (4-5 different sized droppings), coyotes and an active wolf pack. Wolves chased my buddy off of the blood trail of a doe he arrowed at last light last year. Only found scraps of fur the next day.

jb

I've got the tractor and mower backed up to the barn right now. After I re-check that pin for tightness ( and the other side).. i may just put a 'blip' of weld on there myself.

Will also re-check my stabilizer chain-lock nuts..

Soundguy

slowrev said:
Soundguy, no matter how often you check em it will happen.

I tack welded the nut on my pins to the threads. I can still break em off, but they won't unscrew and I can always grind the spot weld off to replace the pin if needed.

/ check your linkage and nuts/bolts!! #8  
Soundguy said:
My right lower cat2 lift pin on the mower popped at 5:30pm est.

Soundguy

Looks like it was about 1 hour behind you.

Here a pic of the broke pin fracture.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I still ahve the back half of mine rolling around in t he tool box. if i can find it'' I'll post its pic as well.

( front half of pin shot like a golfball out from under high side of deck when right side plunged.. thank goodness I am strict about no mowing when people are in eye-sight range.. thing must have went over 100' or so.. )

Soundguy