Checked out a L2500 and it blew off the oil cap, high oil pressure?

/ Checked out a L2500 and it blew off the oil cap, high oil pressure? #21  
The crank seals, a.k.a. front and rear main seals, can leak regardless of the type of transmission. They can drip even after you stop the engine, as the oil will have accumulated somewhat in the bellhousing.

OK,I guess I was lucky on that one, as mine drips very little. My oil is fresh and clean in the tank.I was not SURE if the Hydro had a hole in the bottom of the housing. it does make sense that there would be...I do have slight venting pressure from the Vc when the engine is running.

/ Checked out a L2500 and it blew off the oil cap, high oil pressure? #22  
he said it was almost fully blocked by what appears to be some type of secretion by a bug. He says there is no pressure on the cap now.

Make sure the owner isn't secreting something, this sounds implausible to me. First of all how does a bug get in the elbow? Did he burrow past the metal screen further downstream, or was he born in the valve cover? Bugs can get in some crazy places, but to get into that place, and live there so long that he's secreting, doesn't seem right. What was he eating? I can imagine the blockage being that sort of milky crap that engines produce if they have a leak from the cooling system into the oil somewhere. Or condensation in the valve cover if it was run for many, short periods of time. I think I'd do a compression test, and test the pressure in the cooling system.

/ Checked out a L2500 and it blew off the oil cap, high oil pressure? #23  
Update- talked to the owner. He said the problem is fixed. When we took off the breather tube and cover, we failed to look in the metal elbow on the cover. he said it was almost fully blocked by what appears to be some type of secretion by a bug. He says there is no pressure on the cap now. So I will go back up and confirm. If this is correct, I will most likely purchase it.

If there is anything else I need to look at please let me know. Thanks again for the help.

So I thought it still built pressure when the valve cover was off,:confused2:

/ Checked out a L2500 and it blew off the oil cap, high oil pressure? #24  
Whew - what a train wreck! So, whoever said early on that it was a mud dauber was on the right track after all? Too bad he deleted his post - he could take a bow.:thumbsup:

/ Checked out a L2500 and it blew off the oil cap, high oil pressure? #25  
Yeah, I've seen mud daubers do some crazy things. I'm not saying thats is what the problem is, it just wouldn't suprise me. I've seen mud daubers build a nest in just a couple of days.

/ Checked out a L2500 and it blew off the oil cap, high oil pressure?
another update. I bought it. I called the serviceman at the dealer and spoke to him about the behavior. And he gave me a little history on it. I checked it out again and no pressure was occurring. No leaks or signs of leaks. Thanks for everyone's help. I hope and pray it lasts a long time.

/ Checked out a L2500 and it blew off the oil cap, high oil pressure? #27  
another update. I bought it. I called the serviceman at the dealer and spoke to him about the behavior. And he gave me a little history on it. I checked it out again and no pressure was occurring. No leaks or signs of leaks. Thanks for everyone's help. I hope and pray it lasts a long time.

You're not getting off that easy, we want details, and pictures. What's the history that helped explain what's going on?

/ Checked out a L2500 and it blew off the oil cap, high oil pressure?
Called the dealer the PO said he took it and the work that was done. The service fella confirmed everything the owner had said. Hours were 176 at that time.

I asked, worse case scenario, if there were 8 hours run in it's "high pressure" condition, how detrimental it would be. The fella said it wouldn't and he would not be concerned with that at all if he were buying it. He said these tractors (kubotas) just run and run and never have any problems. 85% of the parts they carry are maintenance.

That coupled with the advice given here, warranted another 140 mile 1-way trip. I scoured it again, no leaks or any sign of paint splitting from anything being removed, like a pain, diff, etc. I saw the blockage and checked the pressure on the cap both after letting it run for 10 seconds as well as operating temperature. No pressure at all. He is an older gentleman who bought it new back in San Diego. But he has 2 larger Kubotas for his 38 acres, so this one saw little time.

It's a calculated risk that I felt comfortably about. I never buy any used vehicle without knowing a major repaire, like a blown engine, could occur on the way home no matter how well it's been taken care of or how well I check it over. It's not like I can run a carfax on a tractor......

Pics are in the original link in post 1

/ Checked out a L2500 and it blew off the oil cap, high oil pressure? #29  
Sounds like you got a good deal. Enjoy your new toy, er... I mean tool.

/ Checked out a L2500 and it blew off the oil cap, high oil pressure? #30  
I went to look at a low hours (187) L2500 Kubota today. While I was driving it around , I heard a loud pop. Turns out the oil cap blew off. The owner and I checked the breather tube and there were not any blockages.

I then drove it for another 5 minutes. It did not blow off, but I did remove the cap after I came to a stop. It had a lot of pressure that came out. The owner took the valve cover off. There was nothing blocking the tube or the breather outlet. There does seem to be some air coming out of the breather tube, but not a lot.

I took a video of this as well as pics. In the video, I started the tractor and clicked record. So it was on for maybe 30 seconds in the video. You can see the air as well as hear the pressure when I remove the cap. I also started the tractor for 5 seconds and checked the cap, with the same results.

Is this normal? Or is this excess blow by? What other things could cause this? I am not sure wher else a blockage could be. I really like the tractor, but I need to know that it is mechanically sound as well as I can run the tractor more than 5 minutes without the cap blowing off.

Pics/video Kubota L2500 - a set on Flickr

Thanks in advance.
Did you ever find a solution< I have a mx5000 low hours 200 today it blows the oil cap off,no smoke or blow by,no leaks,cant find the crankcase vent?