Checking Transaxle level 445

/ Checking Transaxle level 445 #1  

olgreyhair

Tractor
John Deere 445
I have a question concerning the proper level in my new to me 445 trans. The manual says to check it cold on level ground. If needed add fluid, run engine, stop engine, and recheck.
If I check the level cold after sitting all night, there is no fluid on the stick, but if I run it for 2-3 min. and then let it sit for a few minutes, and then check it, it is at the proper level on the stick.
What is the proper procedure in you opinion. Thanks. G

/ Checking Transaxle level 445 #2  
I would think it would be at the full mark just checking it. And over full after starting the tractor.

/ Checking Transaxle level 445
Thanks. So it sounds like I'm a little low. I have to find some J20D to top it off. G

/ Checking Transaxle level 445 #4  
..What is the proper procedure in you opinion. Thanks. G

How long since you changed the filter and the fluid?
My valve had a small leak so I have to add a pint every 3 months of so.
When it's low the lift seems to be slow raising after you first crank it. Also it may whine a bit when cold.

I check it cold and don't crank it at all, as you describe. I do screw the cap all the way in each time after adding a tad.

/ Checking Transaxle level 445 #5  
You are not supposed to screw the cap down when checking trans fluid. Just let it rest on the opening. Sounds like you are a little low.

The fluid and filter was changed about 120 hrs ago. Thanks to all. I'll top it off. G

Question. I seem to be having trouble finding J20D locally. Can I use J20C? or shou;d I wait until I can get to the Dealer? Thanks, George

/ Checking Transaxle level 445 #8  
Because you are not having a problem, pick some up next time you are at the Deere dealer. Good to have some on hand, IMO