Checklist and checking tractor out

/ Checklist and checking tractor out #1  

bcarwell

Gold Member
Tractor
Kabota 7500DT
I'm reading up in preparation for my first tractor purchase and developing a checklist of intended uses and features.

Assuming I then find a tractor meeting these criteria, any suggestions to a Noob as to the actual physical checking of the tractor ? I'm an ex-engineer but electrical, not mechanical, but capable of reading what "blow by" is and looking for it, etc., etc. although I'm sure there are certain things that require a practiced eye and judgment. But is there a FAQ, checklist, or descrption on how a non-tractor mechanic can best check a tractor so I don't forget anything ?

At least to the point where it would be worth hiring a mechanic for a final check (compression, etc., whatever...), as its not cost effective to be sending a mechanic out with me to every tractor I look at.

For example, I 've heard you always want a cold start. Where is there a list of tips like that and the other things to check beyond the normal checking a car (like how to check the PTO, the 3 point hitch, etc.) ?

Bob

/ Checklist and checking tractor out
I'm reading up in preparation for my first tractor purchase and developing a checklist of intended uses and features.

Assuming I then find a tractor meeting these criteria, any suggestions to a Noob as to the actual physical checking of the tractor ? I'm an ex-engineer but electrical, not mechanical, but capable of reading what "blow by" is and looking for it, etc., etc. although I'm sure there are certain things that require a practiced eye and judgment. But is there a FAQ, checklist, or descrption on how a non-tractor mechanic can best check a tractor so I don't forget anything ?

At least to the point where it would be worth hiring a mechanic for a final check (compression, etc., whatever...), as its not cost effective to be sending a mechanic out with me to every tractor I look at.

For example, I 've heard you always want a cold start. Where is there a list of tips like that and the other things to check beyond the normal checking a car (like how to check the PTO, the 3 point hitch, etc.) ?

Bob

/ Checklist and checking tractor out #3  
My suggestion is to spend the small amount required to buy TBN's tractor buying and basics. It covers just about everything you would need to know. Tractor buying
Click the link to go directly to that page.
John

/ Checklist and checking tractor out #4  
My suggestion is to spend the small amount required to buy TBN's tractor buying and basics. It covers just about everything you would need to know. Tractor buying
Click the link to go directly to that page.
John

/ Checklist and checking tractor out #5  
Here's a good one-page checklist from the Yesterday's Tractors website.

Checklist

It's slanted toward buying used tractors, but it'll get you going even if you're checking out a new machine.

If you're interested in a pre-owned Massey Ferguson, see Big Dean's website for buying info.

Big Dean

I'm sure there are equivalent sites for other tractor makes. Takes some Googling.

/ Checklist and checking tractor out #6  
Here's a good one-page checklist from the Yesterday's Tractors website.

Checklist

It's slanted toward buying used tractors, but it'll get you going even if you're checking out a new machine.

If you're interested in a pre-owned Massey Ferguson, see Big Dean's website for buying info.

Big Dean

I'm sure there are equivalent sites for other tractor makes. Takes some Googling.

/ Checklist and checking tractor out #7  
Visual inspection.. look for worn parts, cracks, leaks, evidence of leaks like mared paint, look for repairs.. good ones are ok.. bad ones aren't. Look for welds, check oil for water.. check water for oil.. see how well it starts cold, and hot... drive it in all ranges and at all throttle setings, operate hyds if possible, check lift and pto under load if possible. Let it run till warm, then idle down and check oil presure.. check brakes, check steering for excessive play.. etc. Check governor operation fro smooth acceleration.. check to see if the unit charges..

Soundguy

/ Checklist and checking tractor out #8  
Visual inspection.. look for worn parts, cracks, leaks, evidence of leaks like mared paint, look for repairs.. good ones are ok.. bad ones aren't. Look for welds, check oil for water.. check water for oil.. see how well it starts cold, and hot... drive it in all ranges and at all throttle setings, operate hyds if possible, check lift and pto under load if possible. Let it run till warm, then idle down and check oil presure.. check brakes, check steering for excessive play.. etc. Check governor operation fro smooth acceleration.. check to see if the unit charges..

Soundguy