Cherry Timber Prices

/ Cherry Timber Prices #31  
Your way ahead of my level of thinking. I just repeated what I think I was told a a tax workshop for forest land owners. What you say makes sense.
What would stop you from paying yourself a high stumpage and breaking even on the harvest so that it would all be capital gains anyway ?

Good question -- I suspect the fear of an audit. The link says the stumpage value has to be the fair market value as of the first day of the taxable year in which it is cut.

Steve

/ Cherry Timber Prices #32  
Hi new here so bear with me please
I live just south of morgantown wv in fairmont and i am looking at the current price list from allegany hardwoods which is one of the locale buyers here and the price for cherry is going for 2000 to 5000 per thousand bft for veneer down to 300 to 400 a thousand bft for #2 and it has to be 8'6"long or longer and 12"and up in diam. hope this info will help you

/ Cherry Timber Prices #33  
In VT and NY area it is about $450 to $500 per MBF ( Thousand Board Feet )delivered to the mill for number 1 logs with 3 clear faces and 12" minimum top at least 8' long.
I agree with BeenThere. You could pick a better time than now.

Question- assuming a BF is 144 cu. inches, what is the proper way to calculate the BF in a piece of timber. Example, I cut a nice straight log that is about 15"D at the butt and tapers to about 12" in 15'. If I average the D at say 14", that puts the "Raw" cubic volume at 27,694 CI. 27694/144= 192 BF.

I recognize you would not get anything close to that number in terms of BF so what is the correct way?

/ Cherry Timber Prices #36  
If you look at the scaling rules you will see large differences between the different scales. As between Doyle and International 1/4" for example. Scale usage varies widely by species and location. So make sure you understand what scale is being used when talking BF or MBF. If someone quotes $1000 MBF Doyle and someone else $1000 MBF Int 1/4 they are vastly different. A forester would help you here and keep the quotes on the same playing field.

/ Cherry Timber Prices #37  
Sorry stonypoint; been busy. Standing tomber is treated as capital gains and road side ordinary income from my information. jbos333; galad to hear you are using a consulting forester. Another recommendation to all, if you are not doing so already, join your state forest owners association. We have a great one here in NYS. You can learn alot from their educational get togethers and publications.The New York Forest Owner's Association

/ Cherry Timber Prices #38  
Another recommendation to all, if you are not doing so already, join your state forest owners association.

Another plug. I am a member of the Forest Landowners Association -- an advocacy group for private forest landowners. Members receive the informative Forest Landowners Magazine (6 issues/year). Membership fees vary according to your acreage -- I pay $75/year for my 90 acres.

Forest Landowners Association

Steve

/ Cherry Timber Prices #39  
You could get a biltmore stick en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biltmore_stick
and do a rough estimate on how much wood you have.