Chestnut Trees Suddenly Dead

/ Chestnut Trees Suddenly Dead
Actually, I wondered if it could be frost damage. The leaves and buds were just emerging so it could very well be a late freeze and they could come back from that [can't be the first time that's happened]. And it would make sense as it hit all of them regardless of size, age, location, or species [they were all various strains of Chinese chestnut]. Plus I know what blight looks like and there has been no sign of it on our property. So I really appreciate your thoughts on this -- offers an uplifting avenue of hope. I won't get a look at them for another week so I'm anxious to see what has happened in the mean time.

/ Chestnut Trees Suddenly Dead #12  
Probably FROST.
I've had my chestnuts (Pure American, not the Chinese Hybridized, from the American Chestnut Cooperator's Foundation) get bit a couple times with early leaf out and late frost. They usually recover just fine.
Do NOT cut the trees down unless ordered to by the state forester. If it's chestnut blight, their roots will survive for several decades sending up new growth. And if they do recover from whatever hit them, they may be resistant to that condition or pathogen and you want to propagate that resistance. When the Chestnut blight hit, folks went and foolishly clear cut tens of thousands of trees trying to stop the blight; and in the process probably destroyed hundreds of trees that were partially resistant to it.

/ Chestnut Trees Suddenly Dead
And the answer it . . .

Frost damage. I finally got back here and all but one sapling pulled through. You can still see the small dead leaves but the rest of the branches are all leafed out. Quite a relief -- I hated to think they were all gone. So thanks to everyone who responded -- really appreciate the consideration.

Rod

/ Chestnut Trees Suddenly Dead #14  
Glad to hear it. ;)