Chevy 454 Motorhome engine problems

/ Chevy 454 Motorhome engine problems #31  
I don't know how I missed this thread in the past, but we used to live in a 1992 Bounder motorhome with the 454 gas engine. We were on our way from the Dallas/Ft. Worth area to the Odessa/Midland area on the Interstate Highway with little traffic when it just died and would not restart. So I unhooked the little car we were towing, when to the nearest town, found an old timer mechanic who suspected a clogged fuel filter, so he went with me, changed the fuel filter, and it started just fine. So we took off, made another few miles and it died again. That time I coasted off the first exit and stopped in a safe place. So we fixed sandwiches for our supper and ate, and then the motorhome started just fine. We made it on to the RV park where we were going to be staying a week or so while I did a gas leakage survey for the local gas company. So while we were there, I decided to change the spark plugs to see if that would help.

And when I got in the wheel well to where I could see that engine, I found a 6 wire wiring harness running just inside the frame rail, which made those wires too close to the exhaust manifold. The insulation on those 6 wires was all melted together.:eek: I went and bought some wire, cut out about 3 feet of all the existing wires, spliced in new wire, and routed away from the exhaust manifold, and never had another problem.

/ Chevy 454 Motorhome engine problems #32  
I don't know how I missed this thread in the past, but we used to live in a 1992 Bounder motorhome with the 454 gas engine. We were on our way from the Dallas/Ft. Worth area to the Odessa/Midland area on the Interstate Highway with little traffic when it just died and would not restart. So I unhooked the little car we were towing, when to the nearest town, found an old timer mechanic who suspected a clogged fuel filter, so he went with me, changed the fuel filter, and it started just fine. So we took off, made another few miles and it died again. That time I coasted off the first exit and stopped in a safe place. So we fixed sandwiches for our supper and ate, and then the motorhome started just fine. We made it on to the RV park where we were going to be staying a week or so while I did a gas leakage survey for the local gas company. So while we were there, I decided to change the spark plugs to see if that would help.

And when I got in the wheel well to where I could see that engine, I found a 6 wire wiring harness running just inside the frame rail, which made those wires too close to the exhaust manifold. The insulation on those 6 wires was all melted together.:eek: I went and bought some wire, cut out about 3 feet of all the existing wires, spliced in new wire, and routed away from the exhaust manifold, and never had another problem.

Thanks I will check

/ Chevy 454 Motorhome engine problems #33  
I decided to look at some old records and find that episode started on 3/6/94 a dozen of so miles west of Tye, TX on I-20. After replacing the fuel filter, I made 48 miles before it died again. And once we got to Midland/Odessa, I had to do a job that kept us there for awhile, so it was 4/1/94 before I found the problem and fixed it before moving on.

/ Chevy 454 Motorhome engine problems #34  
I decided to look at some old records and find that episode started on 3/6/94 a dozen of so miles west of Tye, TX on I-20. After replacing the fuel filter, I made 48 miles before it died again. And once we got to Midland/Odessa, I had to do a job that kept us there for awhile, so it was 4/1/94 before I found the problem and fixed it before moving on.

THANKS

/ Chevy 454 Motorhome engine problems #35  
If the engine dies and wont immediately restart until it cools down, I would suspect a coil. If always restarts immediately, I would suspect the ignition switch.

/ Chevy 454 Motorhome engine problems #36  
BINGO I replaced the ICM and it seemed to solve the problem! Drove 80 miles stopped several times never stalled. Thanks to all!

/ Chevy 454 Motorhome engine problems #37  
Congratulations! I know how good it feels to accomplish something like that.

/ Chevy 454 Motorhome engine problems
Good for you.

Now all my gauges have gone dead (except speedo and tach).