Chinese diesel generator?

/ Chinese diesel generator?
Is there a differance in who makes the engine and how many different h.p ratings are there? I am talking about the ones in the 6k range also. On E-bay some are advertised as 10hp, one as 11 and one says theirs are 13hp. Naturally you want to get the best for your money. One has a two year warranty, one a one year, one no warranty at all. I dont place much faith in the warranty. But would be ok if they just supplied you with the parts, if it went bad (free) during the warranty. As crating the gen. back up and shipping it back would cost you $3 or 4 hundred. One mfg says they supply you with spare filters, parts manual, spare gasket set. I visited my neighbor yesterday, who bought one from Northern tool (not the exclosed one) and he said it was very fuel efficent, about 1/3 of his gas gens. He felt he could roll it around better and more portable than the enclosed ones. His major complaint was very noisey. I personally didnt think it made much more noise than my Coleman. I would not be moving mine around. As I have another gen. if I had to load it in my truck to used it some where else. I have heard that the enclosed ones are quite a bit quiter. The only problem is you have to remove all the sheet metal to work on it. I havent seen one of them. But it lookes like there is a lifting ring in the top center, and I could just put a chain through it and pick it up with my loader if needed. I still havent made up my mind as I have run onto a Onan, around 6K. and I think it is a 2 cyl and operates on only somewhere around 1500 rpm. which would make it pretty quite and smooth. It has only about 60 hrs on it. It is propane. Most people say I shouldnt have any trouble in getting propane. I've got to go back and look at it when I get a chance. I dont think propane would be quite as easy to get in a long range emergency as diesel.

/ Chinese diesel generator? #33  
Well what do you know? Surplus Center is now selling the diesel engine that appears to be the one in my chinese gensets-

Surplus Center Item Detail

of course mine is configured a little different to use a larger fuel tank in the genset housing and has seperate controls, different muffler etc, but the crankcase/overall engine looks identical.

Attachments

• p28-1690F.jpg
    p28-1690F.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 223
   / Chinese diesel generator? #35  
I have a 4500 watt Diesel Generator with an engine that is exactly like a Yanmar. It came with a electric start kit. It has a fuel primer and a compression release. It bears the name GIO. It appears to be Chinese. Its an absolute B to start by hand so I have installed the starter, but still trying to figure out the alternater part to charge its battery. So far so good, but really noisy. When I bought it used and finally started it by hand , it blew smoke for 5 minutes then settled down. Extremely loud, but it runs my 220v 140 amp welder fine.

/ Chinese diesel generator? #36  
My father gave me a diesel generator. I think he didn't understand that it was made in China (he never would have bought it). That thing is so difficult to start that I bought a small Harbor Freight generator to get it going! The HF genny does the emergency work and the Diesel is simple a boat anchor. I should get it out a run it though...

/ Chinese diesel generator? #37  
Onan makes both 1800 and 3600 rpm units. I had a small 5kw 4 pole unit (1800 rpm) that ran on propane. Cast iron monster. Very reliable, but when onan sold out to cummins, parts were getting harder to find. Sold it to someone that had one just like it.

i would never get any chinese gen…period. Ive seen these thing totally fry houses depending on them for emergency power. If you get one thatworks, consider yourself lucky. But if you do you can probibly leave it turned off and read by the light coming off of the radioactive waste metal its made from….ok, so now im probably exaggerating.