Chinese knockoff saws?

/ Chinese knockoff saws? #1  

whit61

Tractor
John Deere 301
I’m certain this is blasphemous on this site, but I’m curious if anyone has any real world experience with Stihl or Husky Chinese clone saws. I have a specific need for a big saw, short term. I know they are not as good as the original, but if it gets me through my immediate need and sticks around for occasional use for a few years after for 1/3 the cost, I might consider it. Reviews all seem to be 5 or 1…no in between. Total crap shoot. Honest opinions and actual experience welcome. Also, are they really compatible with Stihl or Husky parts? Thanks.

/ Chinese knockoff saws? #2  
I’m certain this is blasphemous on this site, but I’m curious if anyone has any real world experience with Stihl or Husky Chinese clone saws. I have a specific need for a big saw, short term. I know they are not as good as the original, but if it gets me through my immediate need and sticks around for occasional use for a few years after for 1/3 the cost, I might consider it. Reviews all seem to be 5 or 1…no in between. Total crap shoot. Honest opinions and actual experience welcome. Also, are they really compatible with Stihl or Husky parts? Thanks.
You should check out arboristsite.com
it's a lot like TBN but for ... arborists, obviously, but there's a lot of overlap (and I've seen a number of others from TBN on there too)
but there are some very active clone saw threads that'll get you far quickly.
TL;DR - they sound kinda hit-or-miss but with some easy rebuild stuff can be pretty decent.

/ Chinese knockoff saws? #4  

I believe XYZ 123 in his just another junk chainsaw thread has built a few for sale and customers and they worked OK.

I would give you a review myself - bought the Farmertec Stihl 660 Clone and 28 inch bar, but been so busy haven't had a chance to put it together yet to augment my Husky 350's and ProMac 700.
Reminds me of a Fun lego set for adults- that can do some work:)

post 731 is about the husky 372 clone but somewhere in the thread is xyz's take on the kit saws

post 742 is about the stihl 460 clone g466 good saw for around 200 clams out of the box.

Last edited:
   / Chinese knockoff saws? #5  
Here’s some good questions how long of a bar are you going to be running? And what are you going to be doing with said saw?

/ Chinese knockoff saws? #6  
They have come a long way and you can get big cc saws for fraction of the cost.

Also what do you consider a big saw? I know big to me starts in the 90cc range. Local firewood guys think 50cc is big and 70cc a monster LOL.

What size bar needed and what size tree and type?

IMHO go through a US dealer Like Jes or Scott at www.bluesaws.com and if you dont know saws. Get the preflight check over and tune.

Farmertec have the big ones in G660 G395 and big boy G888.

Yes on parts too. I put a stihl 361 coil in my G888 to go unlimited coil.

Toss the aftermarket decomp. Get oem decomp. Husky preferred by me. The stihl if I dont have husky on hand.

ftsaws.jpg
ftsawss.jpg
g3953637520.jpg
g888cbb.jpg

g888444466.jpg
g444g372pr.jpg

Last edited:
   / Chinese knockoff saws? #7  
I believe XYZ 123 in his just another junk chainsaw thread has built a few for sale and customers and they worked OK.

I would give you a review myself - bought the Farmertec Stihl 660 Clone and 28 inch bar, but been so busy haven't had a chance to put it together yet to augment my Husky 350's and ProMac 700.
Reminds me of a Fun lego set for adults- that can do some work:)

post 731 is about the husky 372 clone but somewhere in the thread is xyz's take on the kit saws

post 742 is about the stihl 460 clone g466 good saw for around 200 clams out of the box.

I have one. It works. I use it to harvest firewood that's mostly telephone pole sized black locust. Can't complain about it yet. 2 years.

/ Chinese knockoff saws? #8  

Also what do you consider a big saw? I know big to me starts in the 90cc range. Local firewood guys think 50cc is big and 70cc a monster LOL.

IMHO go through a US dealer Like Jes or Scott at www.bluesaws.com and if you dont know saws. Get the preflight check over and tune.

Toss the aftermarket decomp. Get oem decomp. Husky preferred by me. The stihl if I dont have husky on hand.

View attachment 823942View attachment 823943View attachment 823944View attachment 823945
View attachment 823946View attachment 823947

I was just going to say...Kevin loves them.

/ Chinese knockoff saws?

View attachment 823942View attachment 823943View attachment 823944View attachment 823945
View attachment 823946View attachment 823947
Thanks, all great feedback so far. I’ve got a couple of big (36”) red oak logs that I want to try my hand at chain saw milling. Thinking 90cc and min 36” bar. I’ve read enough to know I’ve got my work cut out for me if I follow through, but I tend to be stupid stubborn when it comes to doing stuff myself. Even if I decide to turn them into firewood, I’d like something a little bigger than my Husky 55 with 20” bar. Seems like a logical way to get into a big saw, but not one that I need to depend on for my livelihood.

/ Chinese knockoff saws?
You should check out arboristsite.com
it's a lot like TBN but for ... arborists, obviously, but there's a lot of overlap (and I've seen a number of others from TBN on there too)
but there are some very active clone saw threads that'll get you far quickly.
TL;DR - they sound kinda hit-or-miss but with some easy rebuild stuff can be pretty decent.
Thanks, I’ll check it out.