Chipper Chipper / Shredder

/ Chipper / Shredder #11  
After much research I recently purchased a Valby model CH 140 from the Northeast Implement Corp. which imports them from Finland. It only took 4 days to ship it from New York to central Texas. I have set it up but haven't even had time to use it. I will use it with my John Deere model 670 (18 HP; 16.5 PTO HP).

The Valby is built like a tank with heavy guage metal, massive roller bearings, and a 220 pound disc. The blades are larger than on other makes of chippers. I suspect that my great-grandchildren will be using this machine. I paid $2890 for the Valby; it does not have either a mechanical or hydraulic feed. It weighs 585 pounds and my tractor is a little light on the front end even with 200 pounds of suitcase weights. May have to mount the wife on the hood. So far, the chipper looks great--massive and carefully constructed. Obviously built for commercial use.

The CH 140 does not have a belt drive to increase the RPMs; other Valby models do. This means that the disc will only rotate at 540 RPM instead of 1,000 to 2,000 RPM, as do chippers with belt drives. I chose to substitute a big, heavy disc turning at a low RPM for a smaller disc turning faster. This may have been a mistake; time will tell. Also, a slow turning disc will not throw the chips very far and this could be significant if you want to load the chips in a truck. I may also be sorry that I didn't invest $1,200 more and add a hydraulic drive. Although the disc is supposed to be somewhat self-feeding, I suspect that I will wind up spending quite a bit of time pushing in branches. Fortunately, the Valby CH 140 is constructed in such a way that it is easy to add a hydraulic power feed later. Another nice feature on the Valby is that the top part of the cover over the disc is hinged so there is plenty of room to take off the blades for sharpening. By the way, I purchased an extra set of blades (two) at $65 each.

My second choice was the Crary BearCat Model 73454; I also considered the Patu model DC40MF and the Danuser model 18G.

Good luck. This is not an easy decision to make.

/ Chipper / Shredder #12  
Mcallum,

I gave some wrong info. The chipper is made in Finland. Here is a link to to the corporation in finland:
http://www.normet.fi/forest/Chippers/chippers.html

This is the distrubutor for USA are Northeast Impement Co.:
http://www.valbysales.com/

One thing I found out is that on Valby chippers you can adjust the hydrualic feed speed. Also you can remove one of the knives so the wood doesn't get pulled in as quick if you don't have hydrualic feed. I beleive the hydrualic feed is safer than self feed but more $$$.

Valby also make some other interesting foresty products.

Derek

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Rowski on 10/8/00 10:32 AM.</FONT></P>

/ Chipper / Shredder #13  
Rowski--Like you, I read in the owner's manual for my Valby chipper that an operator can reduce the rate of speed at which the chipper pulls in material by removing one of the two blades. Actually, as I understand it, you reverse one of the blades; if a blade was removed it would throw the disc off balance and cause severe vibration. I've wondered about this. Because my disc turns fairly slowly (540 RPM), the material being fed in jerks around quite a bit--enough so that the operator's hands become tired after a few hours and it is necessary to wear a long-sleeved shirt to avoid having your arms beat up. If one blade is reversed, wouldn't this cause the material to jump around even more violently?

/ Chipper / Shredder #14  
For what it's worth, the Patu chipper has adjustable cutting depth for the blades. Smaller cuts of course pull the material in slower.

Does the Valby have such an adjustment that could be used?

Peter

/ Chipper / Shredder #15  
GlennT

I'm not sure if it would or not. Like mentioned I have a hydralic feed. I have my manual at work. I will look it up next week and let you know. (I'm on vacation). It does make sense by removing the blade it would cause it to be out of balance.

Derek