Choker Chain

/ Choker Chain
Gordon - Here are the specs: 3/8" Square Link Grade 100 Alloy, 9700 lb. Working Load Limit, 31,800 lb Certified Breaking Strength, Made in Austria by Pewag. Price is $4.50 per foot.

I haven't noticed any tendency at all for it to want to kink or tangle more than normal chain. I think this is because only the outside of the links are square. The insides are round, just like normal chain. Another important point is that all standard choker hooks, grab links, etc. work fine. And, as I said, they sure do grip better!

Mark

/ Choker Chain #12  
Mark, why would you want to use chain for log skidding nowadays? In the logging world, cable chokers have long ago replaced chain. Cable chokers are: cheap, much stronger, far easier to drag and set around a log ( the main reason why loggers use them), and seldom tangle. Chains are now only used to bind log loads to trucks. That said -your square chain does sound like it would be good stuff for lots of things. (this forester's 2 cents to add to the discussion).

/ Choker Chain #13  
Mark,
I had tire chains at one time that had square links like you described on my old Oliver. I got them from my grandfather who said they were off an old tractor that we had at our basket factory. I know that we had timber rights in the Adirondacks, and had a lot of logs around so they may have come from some form of logging outfit. They sure did grip great, and did a number on pavement if you got the tires to spin.
Von

/ Choker Chain
I guess the main reason I like chain is that I have very un-fond memories of tearing my hands up as a kid working with cable on my Dad's pulpwood crew. Maybe my memory isn't very fair, or cable has improved, but I just remember those strands fraying here and there and you'd have no warning until one of those beasties ripped your hand open.

I've thought about trying a cable choker, and now, after your post, maybe I will, but there's something I've always liked about the clink of chain. This square alloy chain has a much lower pitched "chink" than regular chain that is particular satisfying. (I'm easily amused...) Of course you do have to carry around a chain hook, which you don't with cable, but still, it's not a bad system.

Mark

/ Choker Chain
Von - I can imagine they would bite into pretty much anything. It's interesting that the square link chain existed that long ago. I wonder who made them. There's so much that's been done before that we don't know about, isn't there?

Mark

/ Choker Chain #16  
Um, Mark... gloves? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Would make sense to me.

msig.gif

/ Choker Chain
I actually wondered who the wag that brought that up would be. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I hate gloves. Besides, these beasties will rip, or poke, through most any glove.

Mark

/ Choker Chain #18  
I'm having trouble picturing that cable you were dealing with, after that.

msig.gif

/ Choker Chain
Maybe we weren't using the right stuff, but we'd often get a few single strands that would break or get cut and raise up just a little from the rest of the cable. Then when it's running through your hand, or you're passing your hand along it, they tear through anything you're wearing and into your hand.

Maybe "real" choker cable has thicker strands that don't break in the first place. But, then, would it be flexible enough?

Mark

/ Choker Chain #20  
I am thinking, that with strands small enough to break, how could they cut through a glove? But a hand, sure. (Ouch!)

msig.gif