Choose ONE!!! All-in-one SCUT or zero turn + 40hp tractor w/ FEL?

/ Choose ONE!!! All-in-one SCUT or zero turn + 40hp tractor w/ FEL? #1  

DrFast1

HI Guys and Gals,

I have been reading this forum for a while and was in need of some advice.

I am in the market for a new (or used) machine to be used primarily for mowing.

Here are my needs:
90% Mowing 2 acres (many mature trees)
5% - rototilling garden (50ft by 30ft), plowing snow (paved driveway)
remaining 5% - building a raised flower bed, spreading gravel and mulch

Which option would you choose and why?

Option 1. A slightly used all-in-one SCUT with a 60" mid mount mower, FEL, blade, and tiller (like a JD 2305, or Kubota BX 2350) Cost around $10-15K

Option 2. A used zero turn (48 to 60 inch) and a used "real" 35-50 hp tractor with FEL, blade and tiller. (Like a Kubota "L" series, Case DX series, ect)

Any input is appreciated!

/ Choose ONE!!! All-in-one SCUT or zero turn + 40hp tractor w/ FEL? #2  
The first option looks good:D Lots of choices in that range.:D

On two acres the real need for a 50 HP tractor would appear very limited unless you wish to excavate large amounts of dirt or needlessly run equipment that's too large for the acreage.:D

/ Choose ONE!!! All-in-one SCUT or zero turn + 40hp tractor w/ FEL? #3  
option #1

The "real" tractor will be large and heavy and the ROPS will conflict with your tree branches. The SCUT would do all of what you describe well. A used zero turn could be a bundle of problems, from what I understand the hydro pumps when they go are $$$.

/ Choose ONE!!! All-in-one SCUT or zero turn + 40hp tractor w/ FEL? #4  
HI Guys and Gals,

I have been reading this forum for a while and was in need of some advice.

I am in the market for a new (or used) machine to be used primarily for mowing.

Here are my needs:
90% Mowing 2 acres (many mature trees)
5% - rototilling garden (50ft by 30ft), plowing snow (paved driveway)
remaining 5% - building a raised flower bed, spreading gravel and mulch

Which option would you choose and why?

Option 1. A slightly used all-in-one SCUT with a 60" mid mount mower, FEL, blade, and tiller (like a JD 2305, or Kubota BX 2350) Cost around $10-15K

Option 2. A used zero turn (48 to 60 inch) and a used "real" 35-50 hp tractor with FEL, blade and tiller. (Like a Kubota "L" series, Case DX series, ect)

Any input is appreciated!

Option #1 is the way to go. My first tractor was a new 2005 Kubota B7510HST (21 hp engine, 17 hp pto, 4WD, power steering) with the LA302 FEL (4-ft bucket). I used it on my 10 acre spread for all the jobs you mentioned (except show removal--no snow here on the floor of the North Sacramento Valley). All the manufacturers have 20-25 hp machines that would handle your tasks.

/ Choose ONE!!! All-in-one SCUT or zero turn + 40hp tractor w/ FEL? #5  
Can I go off menu?

Option #3. Buy a lawn mower, either a box store cheapie or a used name brand. You can put a front blade or even a front blower on. Typically, this time of year you should be able to find a 5 year old Deere with a blower for $2-3000. With this economy, low ball.

Then buy a rear tine walk behind tiller new for $6-800 or used for 1/3 of that.

For 2 acres, you can do the listed tasks a lot cheaper. You could even just contract out the tilling to a neighbor or a pro for a hundred bucks a year and go 5-15 years for the same money....

/ Choose ONE!!! All-in-one SCUT or zero turn + 40hp tractor w/ FEL? #6  
Good advice JB, but may I caution against a "cheapie" lawn mower, they just don't hold up to 2 acres. I had a Husqavarna that kept losing parts and bending blades, final straw was the deck bent it and never cut well after that. I bought a used Kubota lawn/garden tractor with a mower and snowblower for 2300.00 on Fleabay a few years ago and couldn't be happier.

/ Choose ONE!!! All-in-one SCUT or zero turn + 40hp tractor w/ FEL? #7  
Got two CUTs(20 & 35 hp) with mowers, bought a zero turn this spring for 10 acres, only 3 of which is lawn.
Got sick of putting the decks on and off. When I want to mow, I go mow. Anything else - get on the tractor and go do it. With the size you are looking at you will have plenty of tractor. Wish I would have saved the money on the MMM and bought a dedicated mower. Would have been way ahead in the long run.

/ Choose ONE!!! All-in-one SCUT or zero turn + 40hp tractor w/ FEL? #8  
Option #2 gets my vote.

I was exactly where you are. I didn't buy a larger CUT due to size and my desire to mow with it. I bought a DX24 and mid mount mower. I very quickly became aware that I didn't have nearly enough tractor for the tasks at hand. Next bought a DX33 for the larger work load but was still underpowered and not happy about constantly taking off the loader or taking on or off the mower deck. Fast forward.....

This spring I purchased a DX45 and a used grasshopper 932 zero turn. I can now leave the loader on the tractor and rarely take it off, let alone messing with the mid mount deck. As far as mowing, I have about 3 acres that I mow with probably 60+ trees to mow around. The grasshopper literally cut my mowing time in half compared to the scut/cut. There is a reason that all commercial mowers use zero turns.

jk

/ Choose ONE!!! All-in-one SCUT or zero turn + 40hp tractor w/ FEL? #9  
Got two CUTs(20 & 35 hp) with mowers, bought a zero turn this spring for 10 acres, only 3 of which is lawn.
Got sick of putting the decks on and off. When I want to mow, I go mow. Anything else - get on the tractor and go do it. With the size you are looking at you will have plenty of tractor. Wish I would have saved the money on the MMM and bought a dedicated mower. Would have been way ahead in the long run.
I have a BX23 and a BX 1500 with MMMs .
I leve them on the tractors 24/7 so there is no putting the decks on and off.
When I want to mow, I go mow.
With the attachments I have on the 2 BX1500s and the BX23 i can pretty much get on which ever tractor tractor and just go do it.

/ Choose ONE!!! All-in-one SCUT or zero turn + 40hp tractor w/ FEL? #10  
this is bascially my plan...

bought my tc45 for bush hogging, snow, backhoe, you name it (good deals are out there!)

i've been looking for a used zero turn.......there's a nice looking dixie chopper, yanmar diesel, 60" cut, 800 hours on craigs list that he has been dropping the price on....he's down to 4900.......if you go gas, they are little cheaper

whatever, buy nice, used of both and you can afford other things

Option #2 gets my vote.

I was exactly where you are. I didn't buy a larger CUT due to size and my desire to mow with it. I bought a DX24 and mid mount mower. I very quickly became aware that I didn't have nearly enough tractor for the tasks at hand. Next bought a DX33 for the larger work load but was still underpowered and not happy about constantly taking off the loader or taking on or off the mower deck. Fast forward.....

This spring I purchased a DX45 and a used grasshopper 932 zero turn. I can now leave the loader on the tractor and rarely take it off, let alone messing with the mid mount deck. As far as mowing, I have about 3 acres that I mow with probably 60+ trees to mow around. The grasshopper literally cut my mowing time in half compared to the scut/cut. There is a reason that all commercial mowers use zero turns.

jk