City girl needs advice on buying 1st tractor

/ City girl needs advice on buying 1st tractor #11  
Welcome

Dave

/ City girl needs advice on buying 1st tractor #12  
For what you want to do, big, strong and heavy is going to be key. I would suggest you check out as many as you can, but would make sure I looked at Kubota, LS, Kioti and JD. For Kubota, you need to be in the Grand L as a minimum, look at the L4240 up to the L5740. For Kioti, look at the DK40, DK45 and DK50 (they're all the exact same, just more hp). LS is a nice full featured and heavy tractor but I can't help you with model # and JD is nice, but expensive.

Unless the trees are small or there aren't many of them, I'd still contract the stump removal out.

/ City girl needs advice on buying 1st tractor #13  
Hi, lovelyanai, and welcome to TBN!

I would recommend you visit all the major branded dealers in your area, sit on and drive all the tractors you can there, and see how each of them feels to you. Case in point, I really wanted a JD 4520 cab tractor, but I quickly found that I bumped my head every time I tried to get in, a major bummer. I wound up with one I did not expect to buy, a Kioti DK45SE, which is close to the same size. I suggest you look at John Deere, Kubota, Massey Ferguson, Case IH, New Holland, Kioti, Mahindra, McCormick and LS. You may also be able to find a Bobcat that size as well (they are made by Kioti, but Bobcat is exiting the compact tractor business although they will be well supported with parts and service for years). Kioti also makes the McCormick tractors, LS makes the open station Case IH and New Holland (not entirely sure about the new cabbed models), and TYM makes the Mahindra 10 series tractors. Most all of the tractors are final assembled in the US but are sourced from Japan, Korea, or India. JD makes their own, but many components are souced internationally.

When you visit the dealers, talk to thier service department and their parts department as well as the sales people. Get their recommendations as to the models, options and accessories, and attachments you will need, as well as what should be contracted out. Is their dealership well organized and well run? Talk to other land owners in the area to get their opinions on the reputation and abilities of their preferred dealers. Get the brochures, read them over, sit on the tractors and try them out, an then start getting quotes on the ones that will best fit both you and your needs.

Most of all have fun looking! And I would not be too concerned with the dealer being close (Example - Wallace in PA, Messick in PA, and Barlow in KY all have excellent reputations on this board, as do others). Parts can be shipped, consumeables can be sourced locally, and most tractors will never need to go to the dealership if you can do the routine maintenance. It is also not necessary to by implements at the same dealer you buy the tractor from, other than perhaps the loader and maybe the backhoe.

Happy Hunting!

/ City girl needs advice on buying 1st tractor #14  
I admire your enthusiasm but , clearing and farming are two different critters . Clearing , especially the stumps is very hard on a CUT. Clearing can also be a bit dangerous if not familar with how trees behave . You might talk to the pro's about the clearing , and you can do clean up , maintenance with your tractor . You folks sound kind of new to the tractor world . Trees .rocks , holes , mud ,can make things interesting . Just trying to help .

/ City girl needs advice on buying 1st tractor
We are very new but are determined to do it ourselves. We will take it slow and get comfortable with whatever tractor we decide to buy before jumping headlong into clearing the land. We will be living on there full time so time isn't an issue so we won't be rushing.

/ City girl needs advice on buying 1st tractor #16  
:welcome: To TBN

/ City girl needs advice on buying 1st tractor #17  
I have to second that Dealership choice is important. When I was shopping for mine and was down to just JD I had two different dealers within a couple of hundred bucks of each other on the same tractor and options. What turned me away from the first one was that they didn't know how or if you could add a third function to the 553 loader and they were looking it up on their company computers. Not reassuring to say the least. The other dealer who was one of the owners said "sure do them all the time and there are two in the line outside already done". And another thing this myth of JD always being more expensive is often just that, a myth. Have them price out what you want and see what their bottom line is and you will see they can be very competative pound for pound HP to HP and feature to feature.
Good luck with your search and be sure to get something with a wide stance for working on those hills and have it ballasted right from the begining.

/ City girl needs advice on buying 1st tractor #18  
Welcome.:thumbsup:

A tractor eh? From your information I'd suggest +/- 30 horsepower with hydrostatic transmission. It should have dedicated backhoe attachment, not the three point type. A heavy duty bucket to handle rocks also included. Other attachments can be looked at as required. Chains may be required. Try and get the industrial R4 tires.

A backhoe makes clearing trees possible but slow unless time is not critical.

Note: Dealer A should be able to work on dealer B's make of tractor unless warranties are involved.

Used tractors should also be considered.

One type of tractor to use as an example would be John Deere 4200 with a #7 dedicated backhoe. The other makes will have a similar unit.

Shop long and hard but don't get anxious. :thumbsup:

/ City girl needs advice on buying 1st tractor #19  
I have to second that Dealership choice is important. When I was shopping for mine and was down to just JD I had two different dealers within a couple of hundred bucks of each other on the same tractor and options. What turned me away from the first one was that they didn't know how or if you could add a third function to the 553 loader and they were looking it up on their company computers. Not reassuring to say the least. The other dealer who was one of the owners said "sure do them all the time and there are two in the line outside already done". And another thing this myth of JD always being more expensive is often just that, a myth. Have them price out what you want and see what their bottom line is and you will see they can be very competative pound for pound HP to HP and feature to feature.
Good luck with your search and be sure to get something with a wide stance for working on those hills and have it ballasted right from the begining.

I have to disagree, around here anyway, JD is much more expensive, ESPECIALLY if you compare them pound for pound and feature for feature. I have nothing against them, my first tractor was a JD 955. You can get a very nice JD set up, as nice as any other set up, but it's going to be more expensive in my experience.

/ City girl needs advice on buying 1st tractor #20  
If there are neighbors with tractors in the area where your land is take them to the local coffee shop and pick their brains if you can. They know the area and will most likely know the local tractor scene, dealers, brands, etc. Echoing previous comments look at the local dealers more than specific brands. A good close dealer is an invaluable asset. Also, research what the locals think about their local dealer service departments. Readily available parts are important as well. You can have the best tractor in the world, but if it takes two weeks or longer to get a critical part is is worthless when it is inoperable. Think about what you expect the tractor to do and talk with locals that have been there and done that. A lot of times for heavy projects you are dollars ahead to pay a professional with the proper equipment to do the heavy lifting. If you are a diehard do-it-yourselfer and it is a lot of heavy work go for a brute of a tractor and understand it it is your do it all solo piece of equipment breakdowns will be inevitable. Good luck and enjoy your adventure.