City girl needs help choosing tractor

/ City girl needs help choosing tractor
Thanks so much everybody! Glad I found this group of knowledgeable people. When you are spending this kind of money it's nice to have some independent opinions. Hiring out the big stuff is probably a good (and safer for me) idea, and I do not know if I can "rent" one for a weekend to see how I do with one or the other, but I will look into it. Thanks!

What folks around here tell us we need is going to cost around $30,000. So far, we have priced the JD 5055E (55 HP, 45 PTO-HP) or 5065E (65 HP, 53PTO-HP), but neither one has the hydrostatic transmission (price somewhere around $22,000 with discounts from my association with the United States Equestrian Federation USEF). JD dealer recommends the 553 front end loader and the 609 six-foot cutter (price around $8000) plus a box blade ($1100). The extension service guy said this was their bare bones model, not particularly heavy duty. The next JD model up with the hydrostatic transmission is about $10,000 more...out of my range.

The Kubota ends up being about the same price, although it's slightly smaller. The tractor is the M5040 with a 50HP motor (45 PTO HP), but it does have the hydrostatic transmission; the loader is the LA1153; with a Land Pride RCR26 series 6' cutter. The cutter says it's rated 40-110HP--does that mean PTO power? Would that make it difficult for the M5040 to make it work well enough to get the job done, with the number being sorta on the low end? One attractive feature about the Kubota is that there is a 5year 0% financing plan. The dealer told me Kubota is totally made in the USA while the JD is made in India...Is that right?

Some general questions: Will JD hold its value longer? Does the Kubota have to be serviced more often? Is the hydrostatic transmission that big a deal? Since these two cost about the same, does it make a difference really? Both dealers have a good reputation for good service after the sale, so it's kinda hard to choose. Thanks again for your help.

/ City girl needs help choosing tractor #12  
Some general questions: Will JD hold its value longer? Does the Kubota have to be serviced more often? Is the hydrostatic transmission that big a deal? Since these two cost about the same, does it make a difference really? Both dealers have a good reputation for good service after the sale, so it's kinda hard to choose. Thanks again for your help.

Welcome to TBN! Great folk's, helpful advice but no free coffee..

My wife and I have horses on 20 acres. We are just now getting into producing our own hay.

Both JD and Kubota hold their value quite well. They are very reliable and do not - generally - need to be serviced more than any other brand.

IMO - the hydrostatic transmission - is a VERY BIG deal. Using the loader and/or working in tight quarters while mowing, etc. the hydro will be a real benefit. You will thank yourself many times over for buying the tractor with HST.

Spend some time at the dealerships. Test drive the various tractor's that fit your budget and your projected needs. Determine which is the most comfortable model that work's ergonomically for you and/or your husband. This would also be an opportunity to better know the dealer and the people that you might be working with for some time in the future.

Yes, the mower Hp is based upon PTO Hp rating's.

Lastly, both the JD and Kubota websites offer prospective buyer's with the option of "Building your own" machine. This feature provides you with a MSRP dollar value for the various models configured with different loader and other optional attachments that you are considering buying.

When you narrow down the models and get serious about buying - the configured MSRP - gives you a starting point and a basis for negotiating with different dealers.

Best of luck.

AKfish

/ City girl needs help choosing tractor #13  
Welcome Peppy.

Do you get much snow during the winter where your at? How hot and humid is it during the summer? Since this will be a long term purchase for you, you might want to consider a cab. I'd hate to plow out a 1/2 mile drive during the winter on an open station tractor. Cab = comfort, comfort = joy to use, joy to use = productivity. I have R4 tires; but wish I would have gotten R1's for the added traction. I didn't know better at the time I bought mine. Dealers seem to love to push R4's because they make extra money selling them.

I don't know diddly about horses; but it may make sense as others have said to have a larger rig for working the property, and a smaller one for mucking the barn out. If you can find a used JD 445 or 455 with a loader, those little beasts are highly sought after. Plus if you have some groomed lawn, the little JD can mow it too. I would love to have a 455 with AWS (All Wheel Steer).

/ City girl needs help choosing tractor #14  
Welcome,

You have been given great advice. I'd like to down break it a bit more. Questions to ask yourself.

-Size. Beyond HP. Width, Height and Length. Look around at where you went to take it. Will it fit between trees, building, barn isles, and other obsticales? Are there low branches, wires, and will it clear the door to your shed, barn or garage? Any of it matter? Branches can be trimmed, doors modified, wires moved.

-Think about the largest (or smallest) attachment you may need. Even if you don't buy now, will you want/need it in the future? Can your machine pull it, lift it, and power it (PTO and Hydraulic)?

-FEL. Think about what you want it move and how high. Can it move a large round bail? Can it move about other machines, equipment and deliveries, ect?

-Weight. Can be your best friend or worst enemy. A heavy machine will give great traction and stability. But a heavy machine may sink into wet or soft spots. Basicly ground presure. Size tires (or tracks) vs weight of machine. Do want transport yourself? Weight may matter there too.

Regular needs vs 1 time needs. It may better use of time and money to hire out those 1 time needs. Unless you are like me and must do every yourself:D.

JD and Kubota are both great machines. I'd choose by better dealer combined with better fit/price for you.

Happy Hunting.

Brian

PS We love pics.

/ City girl needs help choosing tractor #15  
Unless you're mowing real heavy stuff (small trees etc.) you're not going to have a problem with a 6 foot mower

/ City girl needs help choosing tractor #16  
My wife and I have horses on 20 acres. We are just now getting into producing our own hay.

AKfish

It might help to discuss the economics of producing your own hay - something I know nothing about but those of you who do could add some valuable advice. I picture at least three implements that all have to work at the 'right' time. This could be a big challenge for someone without mechanical experience. I am sure a person could work there way into it.

Not questioning your choice AKfish at all, just curious and I think the answers will help the OP.

Also, just what is required to maintain a horse pasture long term? I am guessing it's more than just a mower?

If you keep enough horses to generate a considerable manure pile, what is needed to deal with that?

Also, what will be pasture was cotton fields. Is the soil depleted? How much pasture is already established and what will be needed to do that? How many acres of pasture, out the 40 acres, will there eventually be? Thinking beyond the trees and rocks :)
Dave.

/ City girl needs help choosing tractor #17  
I have a 70 acre farm. I started out with a Ford 2120 43hp machine, great but too small for the stumps and rocks. added a New Holland TN75D 75 hp with 11 foot backhoe, Still too small for the rocks and large stumps. Added a 44,000 lb Hitachi Excavator. Worked out well for those large stumps and rocks that just barely nick the bush hog but turn out to be the size of Volkswagon Bugs. And just what do you do with these monster rocks? I dug 10 to 20 feet deep hole and burried them on location.

In other words there is no way a 30 to 50 hp tractor is going to do all you want unless you are working iin soft soil and the rocks are wheel barrow size or smaller.

Hire it out and something in the 50 hp range.

Just my thoughts. BTW, the New Holland TC55 or what ever they call it now is an excellent machine. It is basically the same tractor as my 2120 (which I've used for 20+ years) and it has a larger frame size than most of the other compacts. In other words it will kick the b** of most compacts in terms of getting work done.

Andy

/ City girl needs help choosing tractor #18  
It sounds like you are going to buy new. I would suggest buying the implements used. Your JD or Kubota dealer likely has many, good quality, like new used attachments. As you can see, lots of tractor guys trade up constantly and are always selling attachments. There is also a lot on Craigslist if you want to swim in that pool...

The tractors seem to hold their value better than the implements. I would buy the cutter and box blade used.

Also, let me know if you see a used JD number 7 backhoe. Still looking.:)

/ City girl needs help choosing tractor #19  
Hi Peppy. I think you should look very favorable toward the 5040HST, and with a factory Skid Steer compatible QA on the loader. That power should handle a 6' bushog easily, and when it comes to loader work, maneuvering on hills, ease of making precise motions, etc you will be at a true advantage. If youre going to be out all day tho, bushogging an open field, or discing or plowing it, you would be at a slight disadvantage with the HST.

You will also want to make a decision on tires -- a choice based on conditions in your area and what you will do most. Almost universally the best traction to be had is with R1s [Ags], but there are trade offs with ground disturbance and load carrying capability. For intermittent heavy loader use they do fine if you max out the front tire pressure. R4s [Industrials] are run harder and can handle more weight, disturb soft ground less, but can have trouble negotiating it as they usually have less traction. They are usually wider and smaller in diameter. That and the pressure gives a little ruffer ride. Ask your area farmers. Some will make a cogent balanced case you can go from.
And, with hills and a loader, 4wd is a must, and split brakes a further advantage.

Lots to consider. Good luck!
larry

/ City girl needs help choosing tractor #20  
The Kubota ends up being about the same price, although it's slightly smaller. The tractor is the M5040 with a 50HP motor (45 PTO HP), but it does have the hydrostatic transmission;

The M5040 is reputed to be an awesome tractor, but it does not have a hydrostatic transmission. It is, however, available with a shuttle shift that forward-reverse transitions a little easier.

**Edit: Sounds like I could be wrong here, but I can't find a hydrostatic option on the Kubota web site...

When I was shopping for a tractor in this same segment a couple years ago there were things I preferred on the Kubota and on the Deere. The Kubota had the shuttle trans and external 3-point lift cylinders. The Deere had a turbo motor (I live at high altitude), front planetary hubs, and was 1100 lbs heavier before any ballast.

Since they were both good tractors, the mechanical stuff is mostly academic. What made my decision was that there was a good Deere dealer relatively close to my house.