Ck-20 brush cutting

/ Ck-20 brush cutting #11  
Thanks for the input,i dont mind using the chain saw. But after I clear the areas I want to be able to maintain it once I'm done clearing. As far as stumps how tough are the r4 tires? Also with this brush cutter is this as good or better then a DR push mower.

ag tires are the best, industrials suck, unless you like getting stuck.

/ Ck-20 brush cutting #12  
ag tires are the best, industrials suck, unless you like getting stuck.

Well I would have to disagree in this situation. The industrials have a much better ply rating when it come to puncture resistance. Ag's may be better in the mud though.

MarkV

/ Ck-20 brush cutting #13  
Yes for cutting brush the R4's are your best choice. For wet work R1's are better. I do agree there but I was suggesting the best tire choice for his intended use.

Well I would have to disagree in this situation. The industrials have a much better ply rating when it come to puncture resistance. Ag's may be better in the mud though.

MarkV

/ Ck-20 brush cutting #14  
I can cut up to 2" at most with my 4' hog. I think you would be doing harm to both your tractor and bushog with anything larger. I agree with most to use your chain saw to start with. CK20's are tough though.

Eddie

/ Ck-20 brush cutting
Thanks for all the great answers, this is my first real tractor. I been using a chainsaw, and echo brushcutter with a blade, so I have the tools for heavy brush its just been super time consuming. My neighbor has a large kubota and helped me on a small patch and ever since then I said to myself I need a tractor. Would love a larger tractor but the wife would throw me out. Im glad I found this forum and hope I will be able to help others in the future. Btw, ill take some before and after pics for others to see.

/ Ck-20 brush cutting #16  
I have a 5' brush bull, a DR and 3 chain saws. The Dr works great but a chain saw is your best bet for 3"+ stuff. My old DR is good to about 3", but I have also broken the front off 3 times ( I don't baby it). If and or when it dies I would get another. The Brush bull consumes more in a swath but not material as thick. Part of that is the added control of the DR since I can slowly lower/pivot it into the material to cut it off if it is big.

/ Ck-20 brush cutting #17  
R4'S are the best tire out there for your average small tractor owner,have had both[r1's and r4's,was moving snow this winter 2 ft plus,4wd no problem,was thinking of getting chaines before,won't spend the money now,they are tougher in thorns,and wider for stability when brushogging on slopes,if they are loaded they can't be beat.

/ Ck-20 brush cutting
I see people talking about loaded tires. I used to sell tires awhile back however we really did not get into industrial/farm tires. Are you referring to actually loading it with a substance? I know some people had calcium in their tires or over loading the pressure.

/ Ck-20 brush cutting #19  
I see people talking about loaded tires. I used to sell tires awhile back however we really did not get into industrial/farm tires. Are you referring to actually loading it with a substance? I know some people had calcium in their tires or over loading the pressure.

Loading tires in the tractor world means adding liquid ballast. Farmers have been doing it for generations and for us compact tractor owners it is a real plus for traction and stability. Calcium chloride is an old standard because it doesn't freeze and weighs more than plain water. Its problem is that being salt based it can rust rims and will kill vegetation if it leaks. There are several newer alternatives such as Rim Guard, which is beet juice, that prevent rusting and freezing. Some of us use windshield washer fluid or water with non-toxic antifreeze.

MarkV

/ Ck-20 brush cutting #20  
Re: loading tires, don't forget that they can be loaded with foam. A little more expensive, but never a leak problem. The ride may or may not suffer, but since I do not run my tractor on the road, I have not noticed a difference in the ride, but as ballast it can't be beat.