CK vs LB/LK

/ CK vs LB/LK #1  

SpinyMouse

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti LK3054XS
I'm another newbie to tractors and have found myself drawn by all the praise you folks are heaping on your Kiotis.

I'm considering buying a compact tractor myself. I see myself needing an FEL and snow blower. As I get to know the equipment better, I may be interested in other attachments.

How do the CK20 and upcoming CK25 compare with the older LB1914 and LK2554?

How do the prices between the comparably powered CK and LK tractors to line up?

As the racy looking new tractors with HST challenge the older tech with gear trannies for sales, can we expect the older styles to go down in price and eventually be discontinued?

Other than the difference in HST vs gear transmissions, what differences could I expect to see in operating/owning either style of tractor?

Thanks for any input you can give.

/ CK vs LB/LK #2  
Spiny,
Welcome to TBN, glad to have ya. I can't offer much help on your questions, but that CK20 sure is a nice tractor. I'm sure the up-coming CK25 will be just as sweet.

Jerry

/ CK vs LB/LK #3  
I went to buy a CK20HST, and came home with an LK3054! It just got delivered last weekend, so I've got far more time in research than I do on the tractor /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif! The CK20HST is a great design, it is certianly the nicest looking design out there, and it holds up in person. It has the features and the design & the quality of materials and finish are first rate. BUT...it came down to capability per dollar. For about $2K more, I got a tractor that is 50% heavier, 50% more powerful (more at the PTO), with a loader that is quite a bit more powerful and with bigger tires. I don't plan to mow with it much, nor transprot it, so for me the weight is generally a benefit (but not always!).

What I gave up is the more modern style (which was truly a bitter pill), a more crowded operator platform, and the hydrostatic. It turns out that I like the shuttle better, but that is just my taste. I'm not using it in a business, and it's a big investment that I don't intend to do again - the older LK series turned out to be a better value for me. I really like the instrument panel and tail lights on the CK though!

Oh - I got a bigger loader on the LK3054 (with a bigger bucket), but the same backhoe as is on the CK20HST.

/ CK vs LB/LK
My considerations are similar. The CKs are sweet to look at, at least the photos are. Truth be told, I kinda like a slightly stodgier look. More important though is features and capabilities vs price.

What is the difference between the sliding gear transmission of the LK2554 and the syncshift of the LB1914 or LK3054?

My expected uses are a project to surround my property with a traditional New Hampshire stone wall (this will take years, but then I hear that moving granite is therapeutic), snow blowing, and working a very small orchard. There will also be a couple of sheep to care for and my wife's garden.

I don't think I need the speed and operating efficiency the HST can give to loader operations. Nor do I need a center PTO. Slow precision in moving rocks means more to me.

Years ago, I worked line service at an airport. We had a little three cylinder 4WD diesel tractor modified to move the airplanes around. Don't remember the brand, but I loved operating that clunky little machine. Those planes are delicate and the sure power along with the ultra low speed precision of the tractor made moving the aircraft safe and secure. At least I never bent any aircraft aluminum while I worked there. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ CK vs LB/LK
The Littletractor website indicates the LK2554 has been discontinued. Is this so? Did the question in my first post come too late? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ CK vs LB/LK #6  
Get 'em while they last.... Replaced by the CK25. Coming soon to a dealer near you!

Don

/ CK vs LB/LK #7  
SpinyMouse, welcome to TBN. I have the CK20HST which is also offered in gear model. I believe the new CK25 will have synchroshuttle, but I don't remember for sure. It will also be offered in HST as will the CK30. You will spend a little more for the LK3054XS than the CK20, and I'm not sure you would actually need the extra HP. The gear drive CK20 would probably be just right for your uses. I do ALL kinds of things with mine with Loader, Backhoe, boxblade, pallet forks, boom pole, and toothbar in the bucket. It has stood up well with mowing brush as well (4ft. mower). I never seem to have the camera when I'm doing a lot my work, but you can see some things I've done on the link below. Go drive them, work them if you can. Check out the dealer, find out what he knows and if you think he'll be there for you if you have any problems. The CK20 in gear should be around $1K less than the HST. A great bargain IMHO. Hope this helps, John CK20Action

/ CK vs LB/LK #8  
If you like the new look than the CK is the way to go. With all the the talk about steel prices and concern that they will be unwilling to deal to much on a new model, I went for the LK3054XS. I like a tractor that looks like a tractor. When the Loader is on, you don't notice the boxie look anyway. Like To20Chris, dollar for dollar and pound for pound the LK series is hard to beat. Talking with the Kioti dealers, it is one of the best sellers in our area. The basic tractor has been around for quite years and seems to be debugged. I really like fact the Loader and BH are mounted to the frame and don't put stress on the drive train.

Let us know what you decide. I am working on getting a camera for the big delivery day. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lablovers

/ CK vs LB/LK #9  
I chose the LB1914 over the Ck20. I'm extremely pleased with the performance so far. Shuttle shift works great.
Still haven't figured out why they say the LB is 19 1/2 H.P. and the CK is 21 H.P. when it's the same engine. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Either way you go they're great machines.
Have fun looking. I'm sure you'll really enjoy these Tractors
whatever you choose.

/ CK vs LB/LK #10  
<font color="blue"> I like a tractor that looks like a tractor. </font>

LOL, thats what my wife said. The CK 20 looks like a larger sleeker lawn mower especially when viewing just internet pictures. However when I got it home she changed her mind. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I personally like the open platform. It makes dismounting the BH to platform easy by just stepping on the rear tire while grasping the ROPS and swinging around, call me lazy lol.

As for the different HP ratings vs same engine, maybe they reduced the diesel pump pressure. I'm told you get extra HP by increasing that on any diesel. Not my area of expertise, so I don't really know for sure.