CK20 HST tranny issues

/ CK20 HST tranny issues #1  

mathey

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC33D
My CK20 HST is currently dead in my back yard. Was out transferring hay from the garage back to the barn early this morning, 3 of 7 bales done when it started with a terrible noise from the tranny, then stopped moving. Pushing the clutch in stops the noise...all hydraulics work. Pressing HST pedal and moving FWD lever has no effect. Fluid level appears fine, filter change is a little past due, but still should not be an issue IMHO. Weather was actually mild today at 30, but it ran fine during colder weather within the past few weeks.

Immediate need is to know if this can be towed with the hi/lo gear selector in Neutral or if there is a release valve somewhere for the HST. I need to get it around to my garage to work on.

Also, the shop manual says to check the input shaft to see if its turning, but i'm not exactly sure what i't looks like or where it's located.

any help is appreciated - right now praying it's an "easy fix"

/ CK20 HST tranny issues #2  
My gut feeling, having no service manual, is that it is a gear box/ clutch issue as opposed to the hst part. I would think that a short a distance tow to the barn in neutral wouldn't cause further grief.
I would hazard a guess the shaft could be viewed through one of those inspection plugs dead center at the bottom of the gear box. Let me know, I'm sure this was no help at all, ant the real experts will kick in momentarily...
Good luck!

/ CK20 HST tranny issues #3  
You've got to move it. Put it in 2wd, HST sange selector in neutral, clutch latched down, parking brake off, engine dead so you can listen. Drag it to the barn.

Do the levers feel as though they are attached? There are roll pins on the shafts where the control levers enter the tranny.

Are you out of warranty? If you are not I would place a call to the dealer to let him know you're in trouble before getting into it.

Bummer. Keep us posted.

/ CK20 HST tranny issues
Further research says that it should be tow-able in the N position, as long as the gearing is not locked up.

yes, all levers seems to working as described, but i'll check in detail when its in the garage.

yes, warranty was 2 years and i'm almost at 3.

bummer...yea, to say the least...I had big plans for it over Christmas break

/ CK20 HST tranny issues #5  
There is a splined coupler coming out of the front of the hydrostat which has peeled off the splines. I am almost 100% sure this is the problem since it happened to my brother's ck20 also. Same symptoms as yours. I will see if I can get lcisled to reply to this thread to let you know exactly what was involved with the repair.

/ CK20 HST tranny issues #6  
I don't know how to link you to a certain thread but the answer to your question is in this thread:
#677470 - 06/19/05 09:17 AM
It is in Kioti Buying and Pricing and is titled JD 4100 vs Kioti...

I am sure this is your problem since the symptoms are exactly as you describe. By the way I don't think there is any cover plate you can take off to see if this is the problem since I had that same idea when it happened to us.

/ CK20 HST tranny issues #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( yes, warranty was 2 years and i'm almost at 3.
)</font>
You have a 3 year parts on your powertrain.

/ CK20 HST tranny issues #8  
I have not ran across this issue before please keep me posted and if there is anything I can help you with please just ask.
Can you check something out for me...
On the passenger side where your hst pedal is look under the floor board and make sure that when you push the pedal everything moves even the part that goes into the trans.
Do you get any sound of pressure form the hst pedal like it is trying to move in either direction.
Is your loader,powersteering,and 3 pt still working?
Thanks Rick

/ CK20 HST tranny issues #9  
From the sound of things, it is the same thing as what happened to my CK20HST.
Is the noise somewhat of a grinding noise like when missing a shift in a manual transmission? In my case, it was not the hydro that failed, but the coupler between the engine and the hydro. It required a tractor split, a new coupler, and a new hydro as the splines on the hydro were sufficiently damaged.
My dealer said that he had never heard of it happening before.
Just for my information, how many hours are on your tractor?

/ CK20 HST tranny issues #10  
I'm trying to think out loud here..
Put the tractor in 4wd raise the front tires of the ground with the loader and put a jack under the rear and rais that off the ground make sure your range slectoris in low or high and spin the rear tire by hand does the front tire turn?
I am not 100% sure if that will work because it is a hydro,I will do that at the shop tomarrow and let you know if mine spins.