CK20HST repair challenges

/ CK20HST repair challenges #1  

chelydra

Silver Member
Tractor
Ditch Witch
This is a follow-up to my earlier post, "Creaking and dripping"; also relates to recent posts on booms, hydraulics, warranty and other issues. Hope it's not too long!

I sent my CK20HST back to the dealer for the 50-hr service to make sure it got done right. It came back dripping a lot of hydraulic fluid. Made a real mess in the garage, and required topping off frequently. Traced it to one of the KB2365 swing-valve pins. I called the dealer, who said that it was probably a leaky valve or seal, and that the warranty didn't cover that - said I should tighten it and it would be fine. I cranked down the three cover bolts as hard as I dared, which didn't help. I then learned from this group that there is a known problem with blown seals. So I wrote Kioti to ask if they'd cover trailering to the dealer, since it was an obvious OEM problem. They declined to help.

I eventually gave up and paid to have the dealer pick up the tractor. It was gone from before Thanksgiving until after the
new year, including two significant snowfalls. Dealer admitted to having been distracted with snow-machine work (other than mine, that is). But the big problem was that despite the known problem, Kioti apparently didn't have the full parts kit in stock for a real repair. While waiting for that, the dealer also identified and fixed some kind of problem with a sticky bushing on the HST. I hadn't noticed anything, but am glad to have avoided a second service call.

When I got the machine back, they had put in a new rear hydraulic disconnect system. Now I'm supposed to use one of
the main levers to cut out rearward flow when the hoe isn't in use; this is to prevent the same seal blowout that happened before (in normal use). Very classy, though I don't plan to remove the hoe - need it for weight. Unfortunately, they transported it on a different trailer that lacked room to put down the bucket - only way I've ever seen one moved. I hadn't provided the vertical lock pin, since they hadn't used it before. Seems the delivery guy just raised the boom and stuck a bolt in the hole. The bouncing boom smashed the bolt, gouged out the holes, and bent the steel side-plate to the point that I can't lock in the pin anymore. They also didn't do a great repair job on the blown valve: aside from some minor misassembly of the rubber dust boots and a split pin that pokes out where it didn't before, the valve now sticks in one position. So I'll have to pay to have it sent back for re-repair, and also hope they can bash the boom into some kind of shape. It works OK, but I'm very concerned about resale value if/when I can afford to trade up: one look at that, and a buyer will probably assume that the whole machine has been abused.

Oh, yeah - the dealer hadn't known about the hydraulic surge seal-blowing problem, because (he says) Kioti doesn't tell the dealers directly - they have to log onto a web site. Otherwise I'd have been able to skip a couple of months of drips, and get the machine back before snowfall.

I'm disappointed, but still think it's a great machine. And the toothbar I got - even though it wasn't installed very well! - is a real asset.

-NBB

Attachments

• 820959-KB2365.JPG
    820959-KB2365.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 251
   / CK20HST repair challenges #2  
Again like we say all the time... a dealer is what is going to make the difference in how well a product is.

I am so sorry to hear any type of problem like this.

I do have it posted in my showroom and I do tell everyone before they buy that warranty does not cover pickup and delivery.

/ CK20HST repair challenges #4  
Could you send me a PM with the dealers name?
Dick is on the Kiotis dealer council and should have a heads up. Thanks

Like Wallace said warranty doesn't cover pick up and delivery.
We don't charge for the first 50 hour service pickup, but after that we have to charge. We didn't at first, but with the fuel increase we really had no choice.

And just a note about how we get our "issues" information from Kioti. They are posted in the dealers den, but they are also faxed to us.

Sorry to hear about your problems, it shouldn't be this way

/ CK20HST repair challenges
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How long have you had your Machine )</font>

Now about a year - the 50 hr service and blown seal happened at something over half a year. Naturally, now I'm worried about what the future might bring...

I like this dealer, and spent about $600 extra (even including a free spare BH bucket and not paying long-distance shipping) rather than buy out of state. Support your local, say I. But the machine is depreciating a whole lot faster than I'd planned, and service costs are rather higher. I hope it all settles down OK.