Oil & Fuel ck25 injectors

/ ck25 injectors
Yer killin me. I have absolutely no real use for another rifle (even though I only have 2) but those No. 1's are just so beautiful. I like the light sporters but want one in a caliber large enough to use if I ever win a permit in my state's moose lottery. I figure that would also be a good caliber to shoot my tractor with if it needs an engine rebuild. :)

My alternative plan to shooting my tractor is now to switch the injector on the bad cylinder to see if it is the injector or something else.

Thanks for all the input all.

/ ck25 injectors #12  
350 hours should just have the engine broke in. I agree that you need more diagnosing but if you know you have one cylinder that isn't firing, could that be the cause of the rapping noise? One cylinder just along for the ride and making noise like when you start the engine on a really cold day without enough glow time and one cylinder raps a bit until it fires. I'd focus on that cylinder with a compression check first. If good, then you may be right about the injector. It would be hard to believe you lost a rod bearing or bent a rod.

I agree that a compression check would be the next step, if you happen to have a diesel compression tester with the right adapter. I'm guessing you don't and you need to pull all the injectors (or glow plugs depending on which adapter you use) anyway to do compression test. So why not try swapping the injector with a good cylinder to see if the problem moves to the other cylinder?

Bad injectors (leaking or bad pattern) can create a lot of noise and can even damage the engine eventually, so this is not an unreasonable approach.

/ ck25 injectors #13  
Sorry, I forgot that a diesel comp tester is not what everyone has in their tool box. Scott's idea and similar to yours in the first post would be a good way to hopefully find that it's only a bad injector.

I had picked up a Remington 700 in 22-250, you can adjust the trigger pull, overtravel, and engagement yourself. Fitted it with a Leopold 4.5-14 vari-x III, bipod, and worked up a good 55gr. load. Groundhogs hate me but I made friends with the local farmers.

/ ck25 injectors
Well, I had a nice day early this week so I switched out what I thought was the bad injector. I was going to switch positions of the injectors to see if my problem followed but I discovered it was a lot of work to reattach the fuel and intake system to do that so I just bought a new injector and put it in. I thought it would be very simple but the job took me six hours! (If I did it again I could probably do it in less than half that time). You have to remove the intake manifold and completely remove the fuel supply lines to access the injectors I found out. I had all of the injectors exposed for a while and flakes of grey engine paint were chipping off of everything and threatening to get ino a fuel line or injector the entire time. The injector itself was cruded up with carbon and the heat shield was stuck in the engine by carbon. I didn't think I had much chance of everything going back together and working it was all so messy, but it did. I started the tractor and it fired up right away and my cloud of black smoke is, fingers crossed, gone.
I was regreting while I was working that I hadn't shipped the tractor to my dealer for repairs but since it turned out well I'm sort of proud of myself for wrenching on my own tractor. Heck, I didn't even know what an injector was when my problem first appeared.

Thanks all for the advice and companionship along the way.

/ ck25 injectors #15  
Wow, I salute you Sir for having the stones to tear into it like that.....good job!

/ ck25 injectors #16  
Great to hear your up and running and thanks for the update. Doing it yourself saved a few bucks and like most of us, you learned a little about the tractor and diesel engines as you did it.