CK2610 cold start… ALOT of smoke?

/ CK2610 cold start… ALOT of smoke?
There is a seasonal label on the pumps I visit in Montana… I’ll paraphrase: “Fuel is guaranteed to -5 degrees“… something lIke that… the label usually shows up in October

You’re correct… it’s “treated” not “blended”… although blended is available at a different pump…

/ CK2610 cold start… ALOT of smoke? #12  
There is a seasonal label on the pumps I visit in Montana… I’ll paraphrase: “Fuel is guaranteed to -5 degrees“… something lIke that… the label usually shows up in October

You’re correct… it’s “treated” not “blended”… although blended is available at a different pump…
Can't you just pour some kerosene in it?? Along with some lubricating additives, of course. For the fuel pump.

/ CK2610 cold start… ALOT of smoke? #13  
Can't you just pour some kerosene in it?? Along with some lubricating additives, of course. For the fuel pump.
Yes, 50-50 should get you good till around -20F of course around here now kerosene is over $7 a gallon.
Lucas or Power Serve in the white bottle are actually more cost effective. Lucas calls for the single dose to be good to -10F and
a double dose isn't really specified but it refers to -40, I would kind of doubt that.
Power Serve single dose is supposed to be good to 0F, with the double dose for -0 but with no referenced low temp.

Personally I have been using the Power Serve in the white bottle at the double dose and when its calling for -10 or colder I start adding K1.
I am tempted to try the Lucas as it cost less for supposedly a bit better protection.
But I have had the misfortune to ungell a system in the -20's and it is not fun.

948A0E45-B937-4E6D-B538-3980B756C9C2.jpeg

I snapped this pic from the station I routinely visit… I also use a double-dose of PS in my 33 gallon “fuel station” tank… I don’t have a cab on either of my tractors… when it gets to 20 below I watch the snow from in front of the fireplace…BTW… year before last we hit -33… fun stuff…

/ CK2610 cold start… ALOT of smoke? #15  
Are you 100 % sure your glow plugs are actually getting power ? Very easy to hook a test light up to them to check. Could be as simple as a blown fuse.

I’m going strictly by the glow plug idiot light on the dash… when the ambient temp is warm, the glow plugs cycle rather quickly (3-5 seconds)… during this cold snap they have stayed on considerably longer (8-10 seconds)…

I have no idea what electronic sensor may be in the system to activate the plugs duration…longer or shorter, depending on temp… or if there is a sensor at all… it may all be in my head… 5 seconds in 8 degrees may just be measured in dog years…

/ CK2610 cold start… ALOT of smoke? #17  
White smoke like that perfect normal. It will be worse if your cold start assist isn't working good, i.e. glow plugs. If it started it's likely fine.

I had powerstroke with 2/8 working glow plugs and it would blow white smoke heavy until it touched off. Good batteries and starter :) Got the glow plugs fixed after being in parking lot all day at -10C and spending 10 minutes cycling glow plugs and cranking on and off before it went.

-5C today when I started the orange one, auto glow plugs kicked on for 3-4 seconds and it fired instantly when I cranked it, some white smock that cleared fairly quick.

/ CK2610 cold start… ALOT of smoke? #18  
S854
If you really want to verify Glow plug operation and can access the main power feed wire to the glow plugs and have or can borrow a Clamp style VOM With inductive DC current reading capability, it will give a more definitive current draw reading.
Glow plugs wired in parallel can have 1 or more fail but still show some current draw as well as the rail voltage.

At 17 degrees and no block heater It would surprise me if you did not have some smoke.
Being a new tractor doubt there is a problem it was just a Cold morning start without using a block heater.

Hope that makes sense

/ CK2610 cold start… ALOT of smoke? #19  
What RPM are you setting the throttle at when you start it?
My throttle usual set in the 1,400 rpm range or a little lower. range for cold starts.

Do you hit start as soon as glow plug light goes off?
I like to leave my combustion heater on for 30 to 60 seconds before I hit start to make sure combusiton area gets enough to warm up nicely.

do a lot of tractor work often when -20 or more so these tricks work best for my L series tractors

My Kioti idles at 1,000 RPM… that’s where I start it and let It warm…

My MF135 idles a bit lower, I usually set the throttle to 1,000 just before I shut it down, so, on start up it too goes to 1,000…

I did turn the key as soon as the glow plug lamp went off… I try Giving it a few more seconds next time…

My 1980’s era, Radio Shack multi-meter is on it’s last legs… maybe I’ll jump headlong into the twentieth century (!) and purchase an induction style unit… I’ve seen them used and they seem handy enough…