CK30 vs DK40 size....

/ CK30 vs DK40 size.... #11  
I would go with the DK I have only cam upon one spot where I couldn't fit so far and that was easy to remedy as I simply knocked the tree down and hauled it out for the fire pit. In all honesty even my little JD wouldn't have fit threw there so it really wasn't a matter of the size of the machine but rather that nothing had been threw that part of the woods for a long time.

If you like the DK better I would say go for it and don't look back!

/ CK30 vs DK40 size.... #12  
I went from a L3200, to a ck35, to a dk40se. The DK is just in a different class. Not only will it lift almost three times the ck's loader max, it's much heavier. The weight is important for stability and snowplowing. It's a 4 cyl., runs smoother and quieter. I really liked my ck, can't say the same for the kobuta L3200. Get the DK!

/ CK30 vs DK40 size.... #13  
I have said this elsewhere but it bares repeating. If your tractor won't fit between two trees they are too close together and one of them belongs in the wood pile.
If your working in the woods on hilly and rough ground you want your rear tires loaded and set out as wide as possible. And you want a tractor that weighs more then the logs your pulling out.

/ CK30 vs DK40 size.... #14  
I upgraded from a CK30 to a DK40, I wanted the extra lifting capability of the DK FEL and I wanted to be able to put a stronger BH on it than what I had on the CK. The CK is slightly more maneuverable but not in a major way. The DK will do more damage to your lawn than the CK, but if you are spending most of your time in the woods.. it doesn't matter much. The DK is heavier than the CK and the tires have less contact area, hence the reason for more damage to lawn. Even with the rear tires loaded, in 2wd I find that I am spinning the rear tires on the DK easier than I did on the CK, further tearing up the lawn. For close operations and repetitive FEL use, I MUCH prefer the single HST pedal of the CK over the dual pedal of the DK. I wear size 11.5 boots, never use the brake except for parking, so getting boot stuck is not an issue for me. I put about 150 hrs on the single pedal CK and after 75 hrs on the DK I am still hitting the wrong pedal at the wrong time and I have damage to my tractor storage unit and the garage on the house to prove it. In 4wd, the DK is almost unstoppable. With chains on the DK, it plows thru the snow much better than the CK did, even though the CK had more aggressive chains on it. I like flipping a switch to put the DK in 4wd, rather than fighting with the manual lever of the CK. I like having a 3pt control in the rear for when I am hooking up implements on the DK. If you are going to be using anything on the 3pt that is going to be using hydraulics... I would order a second set and have them installed before delivery. I have 2 remotes on the rear and there are times I wish I had 3. If you are doing any rear blade work, Top-N-Tilt will make your life much easier.

/ CK30 vs DK40 size.... #15  
I had to make the same decision last summer. I went with the CK35 because there was just to many places the DK was either not going to fit or barely fit. This mostly was a factor of implement size not tractor size. The CK takes 5ft implements, the DK 6ft, and that was going to cause problems. remember that the implements have to fit too. That said, If there are only a few spots the tractor won't go, I would go with the DK, as for not much more $$, you get a lot more tractor.

/ CK30 vs DK40 size.... #16  
I moved up from a CK20 to DK40. There was a substantial difference obviously and it was not only in power and FEL performance. It was like going from driving a Toyota Corolla/RAV4 to a Suburban. I would think a CK35 would fit somewhere in the Camry/Highlander size proportionately. The DK doesn't turn in as small a space. It is higher and doesn't go under branches as easily. The bucket/grapple is further ahead and therefore a bit harder to see. As Jim pointed out, it has a significantly heavier footprint on lawns and can dig divots with the rear or even front wheels quite easily when power overcomes traction. The implements are bigger and more of a challenge to horse around when mounting. All that said, I would definitely choose the DK over the CK30 even though the CK is an excellent tractor. Size is both an advantage and disadvantage in the woods but the only disadvantage has to do with maneuverability and that can be worked around. I don't recall anything that I could do with my CK that I cannot do with the DK except perhaps travel under some branches that are between 7 and 9 feet off the ground. Sometimes I spend more time carefully maneuvering with the DK but once I am in position the work goes so much faster that the extra maneuvering time is easily made up.

There are many things that the DK will do that the CK simply cannot, mostly related to loader capacity. Having larger implements is generally a good thing but there is no law that says you must have 72" implements on a DK. I use the same 48" grapple as I had on my CK and I've never wanted anything wider especially in the woods. I use a medium duty 5ft bush hog simply because I got a great deal on Craigslist and that works just fine for rough clearing and maneuvering around in the woods or in thickets. Most of my other implements are 6ft but other than covering the track, there is no "need" to use larger stuff if maneuvering in the woods is a prime consideration.

I would not worry too much about making a "wrong" decision as both the CK and DK will serve you well. The DK is a lot more tractor for relatively little more money though. If I had my druthers, I'd own my DK and either have my CK20 TLB back or get a BX24/25 for use on lawns and around the house.

/ CK30 vs DK40 size.... #17  
With the ck35, I had R4 tires with chains. I used a frame mount snowplow because I was afraid of damaging the loader arms with the ssqa snowplow.
With my DK40seh, I have R1 tires with no need to use chains. I use a ssqa mount snowplow, the loader arms are much more beefy, less prone to damage.
I think quite a few on here have upgraded to the dk from the ck because of loader capabilities.

/ CK30 vs DK40 size.... #18  
In my case it didn't work to go up in size. I have never yet felt I needed the DK (though I wish I had that rear 3PT lever every time I hook up). However, I think I would have just shoved DK through some spots and not gone in others, so both would probably work. There are A LOT of people who upgraded for various reasons. Unless there are just a multitude of spots where you can't get an extra foot of width short of liberal use of TNT as I do, go with the DK. Also the Kioti CK is likely tier 4 by now and the DK is not, so bonus there.

/ CK30 vs DK40 size.... #19  
Go bigger... Or you will be shopping in a year.

/ CK30 vs DK40 size.... #20  
My needs are about like yours. I was set to buy a 35 but went for the 40 for more lift capacity and an extra cylinder(four cylinder). I'm happy but, I could be really happy with a 45. With tractors horse power is nice but, weight and size determines what you can do with it, I would always go UP....Mike.